Facts and Events
James Alcorn was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 66.--6th July, 1768. John Mills and Mary to James Alcorn, £60, 143 acres patented to John Mills. 4th June, 1764, on waters of James River, a branch of Looney's Creek; corner land in possession of Adam Looney.
- Page 43.--3d January, 1769. Alexander Evans and Jane to James Alcorn, £17, 37-1/2 acres on Back Creek of James River, part of tract whereon Alexander now lives. Teste: John Miller, Thomas Arnet, John Harbison, Francis Smith. Delivered to himself, November, 1773.
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 2 - Page 428.-(21st November, 1767) - Processioners appointed, viz: Hugh Crockett and Isaac Taylor, from head of Roanoke to Fort Lewis. Edward Carvin and Nathaniel Evans, from Fort Lewis down on Waters of Roanoke. Thomas McFerran, James Moore, Jr., James Alcorn, Wm. Rolands, on waters of Cuttawba and James River on South Side. James Simpson, John Maxwell, John Mitchell, Jonathan Whitley, between Buffelow and James River. Joseph Lapsley, Wm. Hall, Wm. Paxton, Saml. McClure, John Gilmer, Jonathan Cunningham, between Buffelow and North River to the North Mountain. John Lyle, David Gray, Wm. Caruthers, John Paul, from North River to Beveriey's Line on South Side of Burden's land road that leads to John Paxton's.
Notes on James Alcorn
- Military Service: 1780 at Montgomery County, Virginia
- 1759 Soldier in William Preston's Company of Rangers
- July 6, 1778 deeded 143 acres of land off the James River at Looney's Creek
- January 3, 1769 deeded 37.5 acres of land on Back Creek on James River
- April 18, 1771 granted land in Tryon County, South Carolina
- November 9, 1779 with wife Jenny deeded 180 acres on James River to Joseph Layman
- April 4, 1780 sworn in as Deputy Sheriff of Montgomery County, Virginia
- April 1780 warrant for 50 acres in Montgomery County, Virginia for French and Indian War service
- ↑ International Genealogical Index. (LDS Church, 1999-2005).