Henry Gay, of the Calfpasture, Augusta County, VA
Facts and Events
Henry Gay was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Advisory on family of Henry Gay
Henry Gay migrated to Augusta County, Virginia but is not one of the "five Gay brothers" that also settled in Augusta County. It is highly suggested that the following source be consulted before any changes are made to this family, as well as the second source, the FamilyTreeMaker site of William L. Gay. Both appear to be thoroughly researched and documented.
Gay Families of Augusta and Rockbridge Counties, Virginia
Author(s): Robert H. Montgomery
Source: The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, Vol. 59, No. 2 (Apr., 1951), pp. 195-215
Published by: Virginia Historical Society
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Orange County, Virginia Records:
- Pg. 143-145. Indenture 2 April 1745 between James Patton and John Lewis, of Augusta County, and Henry Gay... for give shillings.. sells 694 acres in Augusta County lying on both sides of the Great River in the Calf Pasture.. beginning.. Thomas Weem's .. Francis Donely's .... (signed) James Patton (seal), John Lewis (seal). Witnesses: Robt. Crockett, Robt. (B) Bratton, James Carter. Payment of ₤23.00.2½ acknowledged. Recorded Orange County, 25 July 1745. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 10, Dorman, pg. 42]. (Note: this area later became Rockbridge County).
Land Grant Surveys in Virginia:
- Page 187 - Henry Gay, 98 acres, Cowpasture River. Adjoining Andrew Donely and his old survey. December 1769. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 67].
Disposition of Land in Augusta County
- Page 99.--16th February, 1762. Henry Gay to Ann Gay and Martha Gay, £100, 216 acres on a branch of Cowpasture. Delivered: Henry Gay, May, 1773. (Note: Ann and Martha were both daughters of Henry Gay that were both not yet married).
- Page 68.--17th October, 1769. Henry Gay and Martha ( ) to James Frazier, £10, 100 acres on Great River of Calfpasture, joining Francis Donaley's land. Teste: Samuel Blackwood, Andrew Steel. (Note: James Frazier married Henry Gay's daughter Ann Gay).
- Page 422.--20th March, 1781. Martha ( ) Gay, widow of Henry Gay, of Rockbridge, to Andrew Moody. (Note: the number of acres in this deed is not listed).
- Page 434.--30 May, 1788. John Gillespie and Martha, James Frazer and Ann, John Frazer, Jean Frazer, Robert Gay, executors of Henry Gay, deceased, to John McRoberts.
Will of Henry Gay
IN THE NAME OF GOD AMEN 16 Jan 1779:
- I, Henery Gay being sick in body but a good and perfect memory, thanks be to Almighty God, and calling to remembrance the uncertain estate of this transitory life and that all flesh must yield unto death when it shall please God to call, do make and declare this, my last Will and Testament, in manner and form following.
- First, being penitent and sorry for all my sins, most humbly desiring forgiveness for the same, I recommend my soul unto Almighty God, my Saviour and Redeemer, in whom and by whose Visits, I trust and believe assuredly to be saved, and have full remission and forgiveness of all my sins, and to inherit the Kingdom of Heaven. And my body I commit to the earth to be decently buried at the discretion of my executors hereafter named.
- And for the settling my temporal estate and such goods, chattels, and debts as it hath pleased God to bestow upon me, I do order, will, and dispose the same in manner and form following that is to say:
- Imprimis, I give and bequeath to my grandson Henery Gay 250a of land by way of entail, joining lines with Robert Lockridge, and £14 in money—and this is his money that is in my hands.
- I will and bequeath to my dearly beloved wife, Marthew Gay, the land on which I now live on, from the line of my grandson’s Place to [a] black walnut at the mountain, and to run a straight line across the bottom to an ash on the bank of the river, and from thence a straight course to the side line; also a negro wench and child, and, at the decease of my wife, the land is to fall into the hands of my daughter Sary Gay, to her and her heirs forever, and to live on the place while single.
- Also, I allow the price of the land sold to ma [sic] Cage Smith to pay all lawful demands that shall come against the estate and legacies
- I will and bequeath to my son-in-law John Freasher, the land from the black walnut before mentioned to James Freashers line—to him and his heirs forever—and £3 to his son James Fresher.
- I will and bequeath to my grandson John Thompson the price of the land I sold to Thomas Davis which is £50.
- I likewise will and bequeath to my son-in-law John Gay, £17 cash, which is his full share.
- I leave and bequeath to my daughter Ann, £5 as an acknowledgement, [as] having received her equal share before.
- I leave and bequeath to my daughter Marthew £5 for an acknowledgement as having received her equal share before, like her three Children £5 apiece: Mary, Ann, [and] Marthew.
- I will and bequeath to my grandson David Moor £20 in cash.
- I leave and bequeath to my daughter Rebecka £20.
- I likewise leave and bequeath to my granddaughter Marthew Glispee in case she lives with her grandmother until of age, £10.
- Likewise the remainder of my moveable estate, with the wench and child before mentioned, I allow to be at my wife’s disposal at her death.
- I also allow all my clothes and cloth unmade up to my grandson Henery Gay.
- I leave my wife and my son-in-law John Freasher to be the executors of my estate.
- I do hereby acknowledge this to be my last will and testament, disanulling all other wills, either by word or writing AS WITNESS MY HAND AND SEAL the day and year above mentioned.
- Henery Gay [seal]
- Witnesses Present:
- Robert Lockridge
- James Crockett
- John Frazer
- At a court held for Rockbridge County 6 Apr 1779:
- This last will and testament of Henery Gay deceased was presented in court by Martha Gay and John Frazer, the executors therein named, and proved by the oaths of Robert Lockridge, and James Crockett, subscribing witnesses and ordered to be recorded.
Records of Henry Gay in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley's Augusta County Records:
- Page 49.--19th August, 1747. Robert Crockett's Inventory: By Henry Gay, Wm. Elliott, Jno. Gay.
- Page 512.--19th May, 1748. £18.6.7. James Patton and Jno. Lewis to Thomas Weems (Weams), _____ acres on both sides Great River, Calfpasture; corner to Henry Gay; corner to Jno. Harry. Teste: Acknowledged, 19th May, 1748.
- Page 361.--6th December, 1759. Jno. Gay's will--To son Henry Gay (infant), part of 347 acres promised to John by his (testator's) father, Henry Gay; to wife, Mary Gay; to father. Henry Gay, all wearing apparel; to be educated in reading and writing (this must refer to son Henry). Executor, father Henry. Teste: Arthur Hamilton, Fras. McDonald, Nathanl. Davis. Proved, 20th May, 1760, by the witnesses. Executor qualified (his "H" mark), with Francis McDonald, James Lockhart.
- Page 12.--__ October, 1760. John Guy's estate settlement (the name is Gay in the order), by Henry Gay, administrator--Sold to Francis Donnally, Martha Guy, Henry Guy, Arthur Greer. widow Savers, Wm. Bunting, Agnes Guy, Jean Moffet, Mary Guy, James Borling, Thos. Brown, Timothy Sullivan. Sundries to Elizabeth Gay, Ann Gay. Paid to John Vance, Nathaniel Lyon, John Neall, John Jamison, James McCoy, Arthur Hamilton, Maj. Brown, Commadore Brown.
- Page 266.--20th April, 1763. Henry Gay's settlement of estate of John Gay recorded--To Eleanor Weems; to recording the will of Willms Burgh; paid Jacob Martin; paid Wm. Coven. (Note: the John Gay listed in this and the prededing records was Henry's son that had died in 1759 at about age 25).
- Page 253.--21st June, 1763. Thomas Weems and Elinor to William Givens, £217, 552 acres on Great Calve Pasture; corner Henry Gay; corner John Harvey. Teste: James Lockridge, John Stewart, John Handley.
- Page 344.--19th June, 1764. John McCaslin's bond (with Henry Gay, Jas. McCoy) as administrator of Wm. Fitzjarrell.
- Page 422.--12th October, 1765. Thomas Thompson's estate appraised, by James, Robert and Henry Gay--One nursery of young apple trees, etc.
- Page 539.--19th August, 1766. William Given(s) and Agness to Robert Lockridge, £172, 552 acres on both sides Great River Calfpasture; corner Henry Gay's; corner David Davis. Teste: Robert Bratton, Andrew Lockridge. Delivered: Mr. Lockridge, 18th November, 1788.
- Page 481.--19th November, 1766. Thomas Thompson's further appraisement (by Robt., James and Henry Gay), recorded.
- Page 481.--19th November, 1766. Henry Gay's bond (with Jas. Frazier) as guardian (chosen) to David Moore, orphan of David Moore.
- Page 22.--18th August, 1767. John Wahub's bond (with Joseph Vachub, Henry Gay) as administrator of Wm. Gay. (Note: William Gay appears to be a nephew of Henry Gay, son of Henry's brother Samuel).
- Page 414.--20th August, 1771. Mary M. Gregory's bond (with John McClenachan, Saml. Vance, Henry Gay) as administratrix of James Gregory.
- Page 295.--17th May, 1776. James Frazier and Ann, John Gillespy and Martha to Henry Gay. Teste: A. Thompson, Robert Thompson, James Trimble.
Additional information on Henry Gay
2. HENRY2 GAY (JOHN1) was born Abt. 1704 in Ulster, Ireland, and died 1779 in Rockbridge Co., VA. He married MARTHA BAXTER 25 Sep 1729 in First Presbyterian Church, Philadelphia, PA. She was born 1711 in PA or N. Ireland, and died 1785 in Rockbridge Co., VA.
More About HENRY GAY and MARTHA BAXTER:
Marriage: 25 Sep 1729, First Presbyterian Church, Philadelphia, PA
Children of HENRY GAY and MARTHA BAXTER are:
6. i. JOHN3 GAY, b. Abt. 1734, Sadsbury Township, Lancaster Co., PA; d. 1759, Augusta, Virginia.
7. ii. ELIZABETH GAY, b. Abt. 1735, Sadsbury Township, Lancaster Co., PA; d. Jun 1785, Augusta Co. VA.
8. iii. REBECCA GAY, b. Abt. 1747, Augusta Co., VA; d. Aft. 1810, Greene Co., TN.
9. iv. MARTHA GAY, b. Abt. 1741, Lancaster Co., PA or Augusta Co., VA.
10. v. SARAH GAY, b. Abt. 1744, Lancaster Co., PA or Augusta Co., VA; d. Mar 1822, Rockbridge, VA, USA.
vi. ANN GAY, b. Abt. 1745, Augusta Co. VA; m. JAMES FRAZIER, Bef. 1776, Augusta Co., Va; b. Abt. 1738; d. Bef. 23 May 1814, Augusta Co,Virginia.
More About JAMES FRAZIER and ANN GAY:
Marriage: Bef. 1776, Augusta Co., Va
11. vii. JENNET GAY, b. Augusta Co. VA; d. Aft. 1788.
Rockbridge Co., Va. Will filed April 6, 1779.
d. Ann Gay
d. Martha Gay
g.s. Henry Gay
s. in l. John Freasher
g.s. John Thompson
g.s. David Moore
d. Rebecca Glespay
g.d. Martha Glespay
Page 99.—16th February, 1762. Henry Gay to Ann Gay and Martha Gay, £100, 216 acres on a branch of Cowpasture. Delivered: Henry Gay, May, 1773.
Help fund new features!