Facts and Events
Esther Waite was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Virginia
Land Grant Surveys in Virginia:
- Page 25 - Esther Stephenson, executrix of John Taylor, 230 acres by virtue of an entry made January 10, 1771. (Massanutten Springs). January 14, 1783. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 105].
- Page 46 - Ester Stephenson, executrix of John Taylor, deceased, 184 acres, between two tracts of her own land. May 24, 1785. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 113]. (Note: these land grants provide key pieces of evidence to prove that Esther had married both John Taylor and John Stephenson, who both had died prior to this date. Since Esther was a widow, she was able to acquire land on her own
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records: (unless otherwise listed)
- Vol. 2 - Page 417--Will of James Waits dated 9th October, 1771. Wife, Catherine; devisees, John Taylor's (and Esther, his wife) children, among them Sarah and Catherine. Recorded in Rockingham, 20th September, 1781. (Note: it appears that James Waite named his possible sister, Esther, and Esther's [then] husband, John Taylor, in his will).
- Page 60 - James Diver, 66 acres, both sides of Timber Ridge. Adjoining Esther Stephenson, Joseph Retherford, Robert Cravens. March 18, 1786. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 117].
Possible parentage of Esther Waite
Esther Waite is thought to be a possible sister of James Waite, who acquired land in "Stover's Mill Creek" in Augusta County, Virginia. Some researchers believe that Esther was a daughter of James Waite, but there does not appear to be enough of an age difference between the two for James to be her father; additional research is necessary to determine what the exact relationship was between them.
- ↑ Ancestry.com/Ancestry Family Trees: Public Members Trees.