Facts and Events
David Martin was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Will of David Martin
- David Martin's Will (Abstract)
- In the Name of God Amen, I David Martin of Rockbridge County and State of Virginia being weak of Body but of perfect mind & memory so make and ordain this my last will and Testament in the following manner (viz):
- First and above all I give my Soul into the hands of Almighty God that gave it and my Body to the earth to be buried in a decent and Christian like manner Nothing doubting but that I shall receive the same again by the mighty power of god. In regard to worldly possessions:
- First I give and bequeath all my right and title interest or demand of in or to three Hundred Acres of Land in the District of Kentucky which a certain Robert Campbell late of Augusta County son in law to Hugh Donahoe was by bargain to make a title to me or my Heirs Exrs or Admrs in fee simple in consideration of a Land warrant he recd of me containing 2,373 acres the sd three Hundred acres to be first rate land Unto Wm McKee Junr son of Wm. McKee and his Heirs or Assigns forever.
- Item-- I give Unto the said Wm McKee my Horse saddle & Bridle all my Cloathes and a smooth bore Gun.
- Item-- I Give and Bequeath unto my wife Jean the sum of five shills Current money to be paid by my Executor or Adminr and to each of my sons John James William and Robert the sum of five shills and each of my Daughters Ann Jenny and ______ the sum of one Half Dollar each to be paid out of my personal Estate if the same shall thereunto Extend after discharging all my Just Debts and Funeral Expenses.
- I also Give and bequeath Unto Peter Wigginson a New shirt a New pair of stockings and pair of leather Breaches as an acknowledgement for his care and Friendship to me in my poor weak and sickly state.
- The remainder of my personal Estate if any after paying the above Legacys and bequeathments discharging all my debts and Funeral Expenses I leave in the hands of my Executor for his own proper use and behoof, and I do hereby constitute and appoint Wm McKee senr whole & sole Executor of this my last will and Testament. And I do hereby Utterly renounce, revoke, and disannul all other and former wills Legacys or bequeathments by me willed or bequeathed, Establishing and confirming this and no other to be my last will and Testament in witness whereof I have signed sealed published and pronounced this to be my last will and Testament this fifth day of January in the year of our Lord one thousand seven Hundred and Eighty nine in the presence of:
- (signed) David Martin (seal)
- Hugh Wilson
- Robert McKee Senior
- Peter Wigginson
- Rockbridge County Court 6 October 1789 The last Will and Testament of David Martin decd was presented in Court by William McKee Senr, Executor and proved by oaths of Hugh Wilson & ______________ Robert McKee Senr, witnesses thereto and ordered to be recorded. Certificate was granted William McKee, Exr for obtaining probate. Samuel McCampbell was security on the executor bond of fifty pounds.
- Teste: A Reid Clerk
- [Source: Rockbridge County, VA Will Book 1, p. 342].