David Martin, of the Calfpasture
Facts and Events
David Martin was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 241.--19th April, 1763. James Gay to David Martin, £116.10, 354 acres on Little River of Calf Pasture; corner William Elliot's land; corner Wm. Gay; same purchased by said James from Samuel Gay, who purchased from William Beverley.
Will of David Martin
- David Martin's Will (Abstract)
- In the Name of God Amen, I David Martin of Rockbridge County and State of Virginia being weak of Body but of perfect mind & memory so make and ordain this my last will and Testament in the following manner (viz):
- First and above all I give my Soul into the hands of Almighty God that gave it and my Body to the earth to be buried in a decent and Christian like manner Nothing doubting but that I shall receive the same again by the mighty power of god. In regard to worldly possessions:
- First I give and bequeath all my right and title interest or demand of in or to three Hundred Acres of Land in the District of Kentucky which a certain Robert Campbell late of Augusta County son in law to Hugh Donahoe was by bargain to make a title to me or my Heirs Exrs or Admrs in fee simple in consideration of a Land warrant he recd of me containing 2,373 acres the sd three Hundred acres to be first rate land Unto Wm McKee Junr son of Wm. McKee and his Heirs or Assigns forever.
- Item-- I give Unto the said Wm McKee my Horse saddle & Bridle all my Cloathes and a smooth bore Gun.
- Item-- I Give and Bequeath unto my wife Jean the sum of five shills Current money to be paid by my Executor or Adminr and to each of my sons John James William and Robert the sum of five shills and each of my Daughters Ann Jenny and ______ the sum of one Half Dollar each to be paid out of my personal Estate if the same shall thereunto Extend after discharging all my Just Debts and Funeral Expenses.
- I also Give and bequeath Unto Peter Wigginson a New shirt a New pair of stockings and pair of leather Breaches as an acknowledgement for his care and Friendship to me in my poor weak and sickly state.
- The remainder of my personal Estate if any after paying the above Legacys and bequeathments discharging all my debts and Funeral Expenses I leave in the hands of my Executor for his own proper use and behoof, and I do hereby constitute and appoint Wm McKee senr whole & sole Executor of this my last will and Testament. And I do hereby Utterly renounce, revoke, and disannul all other and former wills Legacys or bequeathments by me willed or bequeathed, Establishing and confirming this and no other to be my last will and Testament in witness whereof I have signed sealed published and pronounced this to be my last will and Testament this fifth day of January in the year of our Lord one thousand seven Hundred and Eighty nine in the presence of:
- (signed) David Martin (seal)
- Hugh Wilson
- Robert McKee Senior
- Peter Wigginson
- Rockbridge County Court 6 October 1789 The last Will and Testament of David Martin decd was presented in Court by William McKee Senr, Executor and proved by oaths of Hugh Wilson & ______________ Robert McKee Senr, witnesses thereto and ordered to be recorded. Certificate was granted William McKee, Exr for obtaining probate. Samuel McCampbell was security on the executor bond of fifty pounds.
- Teste: A Reid Clerk
- [Source: Rockbridge County, VA Will Book 1, p. 342].
- Rockbridge County, VA Will Book 1, pp. 17-18.
- David Martin's Admr. Bond (Transcription)
- KNOW all men by these presents that we Jane Martin John Gay, John Thompson & Thos Wilson are held and firmly bound unto Samuel McDowell, Charles Campbell, Saml Lyle John Trimble Wm Paxton, Joseph Moore, and John Greenlee, Gentlemen Justices of the Court of Rockbridge now sitting in the sum of two Thousand pounds Current Money of Virginia payment whereof well and truly to be made to the said Justices & their successors, we bind ourselves and each of our Heirs, Executors, and administrators, Jointly and Severally firmly by these presents, Sealed with our Seals this 4th Day of August one Thousand Seven Hundred and Seventy Eight and in the Second year of the Commonwealth
- THE CONDITION of this Obligation is such that if the above bound Jean Martin Administratrix and John Gay Administrator of all the Goods, Chattles and Credits of David martin Deceased, do make or cause to be made a true and perfect Inventory of all and singular the Goods, Chattles and Credits of the said Deceased which have or shall come to the hands possession or knowledge of the said Administrators or into the hands or possession of any other person or persons for them and the same do make do exhibit or Cause to be exhibited into the County Court of Rockbridge at such time as they shall be thereunto Required by the said Court And the same Goods & c at the time of his Death or which at any time after shall come to the hands or possession of any other person or persons for them do well and truly administer According to Law and further do make a Just account of all actings and doings therin when thereto Required by the said Court and all the Rest and Residue of said Goods & c which shall be found Remaining upon the said Administraton Account (the same being first examined and allowed by the Justices of the Court for the time being) shall Deliver and pay unto such person or persons Respectively as the said Justices by their Order or Judgement shall Direct pursuant to the Law in that case made and provided. And if it shall appear hereafter tht any last Will and Testament was made by the said Deceased and the Executor or Executrors therein Named do exhibit the same into the said Court making Request to have it allowed and appraised Accordingly. If the said Administrator being th[erein] Required to render and deliver up all Letters of Administration aprobation of such Testament being had and made in such Court Then this Obligation to be Void or else to Remain in full force and Virtue.
- Jean Martin (^ her mark)
- John Gay (seal)
- John Thompson (seal)
- Thomas Wilson (seal)
- At a Court held for Rockbridge County August 4th 1778
- This Bond was Acknowledged by Jane Martin John Gay Gent. John Thompson & Thomas Wilson to be their Act and Deed and Ordered to be Recorded
- Teste Andrew Reid Clk
Records of David Martin in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST 17, 1773. - (149) John Stevenson, vice David Martin--Constable.
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER 22, 1775. - (94) Robert Dunlap, vice David Martin--Constable.