Facts and Events
||Dunshanglin Castle, Meath, Ireland
||Albemarle Co., VAto Martha Poage
||Botetourt Co, VAFarmer, scribe, justice of the peace, sheriff in 1777
||Botetourt Co, VAHigh Sheriff
||bef. August 1781
||Botetourt County, Virginia
||9 AUG 1781
||Botetourt Co, VA
Andrew Woods was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
[Andrew is sometimes identified as the son of Michael Woods and Mary Campbell ("Related Families of Botetourt County, Virginia"). He is not so identified in Michael's will. There seems to be no compelling reason to include as a child of Michael.Q 20:22, 19 February 2011 (EST)]
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 439.--5th October, 1765. Patton's executors to Andrew Woods, of Albemarle County, £100, 275 acres on North Fork of Roanoke, part of large tract patented to James Patton, 3d November, 1750, on Goose Creek, now called the Nort Fork of Roanoke, line of Pepper's land, David Miller's land. Teste: Wm. Christian, Edward Carvin, John Neelley, Dr.
- Page 53.--17th June, 1767. John Adams and Elizabeth ( ) to Andrew Woods, £70, 300 acres on a branch of Looney's Mill Creek. Teste: Robert Finley, Stephen Trigg.
- Page 85 - Andrew Wood, 185 acres, North Fork of Roanoke River. November 5, 1767. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 31].
- Page 447.--5th November, 1767. Robert Sloan, of Rowan County, N. C., weaver, to Andrew Woods, £40, on Looney's Mill Creek next above Hugh Carother's land containing 264 acres. Teste: James Young, Samuel ( ) Lindsey, Walter Lindsey, George Gillespie. Delivered: Thos. Madison.
Will of Andrew Woods
- Woods, Andrew. Will probate Aug. 1781.
- Names children: James, Andrew, Archabald, Robert, Martha, Mary Elizabeth Cloyd and Rebekah Kelly.
- (Wife was Martha).
- [Source: Early Marriages, Wills and some Revolutionary War Records, Botetourt County, Virginia, Compiled by Anne Lowry Worrell].
Records of Andrew Woods in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 25.--27th November, 1757. John Harrison, farmer, to Robert Renick, farmer, 241 acres. Teste: Andrew Woods, John Poage, George Crawford.
- Page 211.--5th March, 1767. James ( ) McAffee and Jannet ( ) to Archibald Fisher, £55, 150 acres on Catawbo of James River, joining John Bryan's land, opposite mouth of Holeston's Branch. Teste: James Curry, William Fleming, Andrew Woods. Delivered: Archibald Fisher, March, 1773.
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST 19, 1767. - (220) Deed John Adams and Elizabeth to Andrew Woods, partly proved.
- Vol. 1 - MARCH 16, 1768. - (500) Hemp certificates: Baptist McNabb, James Crockett, Thos. McCallock, Pat. Hays, Andrew Hall, Andrew Woods, Elizabeth Taylor, Andrew Lewis, Alexr. Evans, David Forbes, John Hopkins, Archd. Hopkins.
- Page 266.--25th January, 1769. Robert Rowland to Thomas Rowland, £100. 369 acres patented to Robert, 25th July, 1746, on head branch of Looney's Creek. Teste: Benj. Hawkins, Michael Woods, Jr., Thomas Arnott. Andrew Woods. Delivered: Pat. Lockhart by your order, March, 177?.
- Page 387.--18th November, 1776. Privy examination of Margaret, wife John Hutchison, late of Augusta, deed to Charles Baskins, before William Fleming and Andrew Woods.
Information on Andrew Woods
From "Related Families of Botetourt County, Virginia", by John William Austin, Rebecca H. R. Austin:
- On November 5, 1767, Andrew Woods bought 300 acres from John Adams and Elizabeth on a branch of Looney's Mill Creek. Andrew Woods was the son of Michael Woods, Sr.
Information on this family from Kegley's Virginia Frontier By F. B. Kegley, pg. 419.
BIRTH: 1720, Ireland
DEATH: 1781, Botetourt, Virginia
Father: Michael WOODS
Mother: Lady Mary CAMPBELL
Family 1: Martha POAGE
- IGI Record.
- ↑ Worrell, Anne Lowry. Early marriages, wills, and some Revolutionary War records, Botetourt County, Virginia. (Baltimore [Maryland]: Genealogical Pub. Co., c1976), pg. 65.
Help fund new features!