Facts and Events
Alexander Walker was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
See Also:Person:Alexander Walker (42) of Stone Meeting House
Alexander Walker's land (Borden Tract NW, 161 acres, 1743) as shown on the map meticulously drawn by J.R. Hildebrand, cartographer. This map is copyrighted©, used by permission of John Hildebrand, son of J.R. Hildebrand, April, 2009. Note land of other Walker family members neighboring James Walker's land: John Walker (Alexander's brother) 213 acres, 1743 (to the north); James Walker (Alexander's brother) 321 acres, 1743; John Walker (Alexander's father) 190 acres, 1754 (to the south); and John Walker, Jr. (Alexander's cousin, son of his uncle Alexander) 302 acres, 1753 to the east.
From Orange County, VA records:
- Orange Co., VA, Deed BK 7. pages 276-279, 14 April 1743: Benjamin Borden of Orange County, Va, to Alexander Walker, farmer, of same; 161 acres in Augusta County or that part of Orange County called Augusta on Hays Creek; bounded by land of John Walker. Witnesses: John Hart, Jas Walker, Jas Moore, John Walker.
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 490.--John Doughert (prob. Daugherty) (signed Jocort) to Alex. Walker, 1753, 94 acres. From Patton, 1751, Craig's Creek at Indian Camp. Teste: John Smith, Adam Lewnis, Richard Borton, Jno. Sproul, Ro. Rennix, Samuel Walker.
- Page 531.—17th March, 1755. Same to Alexander Walker, wheelwright, 170 acres on Walker's Creek; corner James Robinson. Delivered: Andrew Hays, March, 1757.
Need Intermediate Source that provided this information from original. Possibly this is from Jerry Penley website.
Rockbridge Co., VA, Will Book 1, p. 214
Alexander Walker of Rockbridge County - Janet "my beloved wife my stock and household furniture" - son Alexander "a mare and two coults" - son Joseph "one coult" - "unto my beloved wife the third of my Land During her lifetime with the use of the Dwelling house." - two daughters Jean and Ketrane (sic.) "a mare... and a sadle and bridle when they arrive at eighteen years...also bed and bed clothes to be provided by sons David, Alexander, and Joseph" - to sons David, Alexander, and Joseph "land I know live on which I purchased of Michael Daugh(?)...if they continue to live on sd. land until my son Alexander comes to the age of twenty-one...land may be sold with the permission of wife but ifthey chose to divide the land then it shall be done as equible as possible with each taking their choice by senority. Should any leave than their part is forfiet to those remaining." -son David and James Walker my son-in-law executors. Dated 5 May 1784 Signed Alexr Walker
Witnesses: John Walker, William Walker, Margaret Walker, Alexander Walker
Proved: 7 Sep 1784
Rockbridge Co., Va. Will filed Sept. 7, 1784.
- wife Janet
- son Alexander Walker born after1761
- son Joseph Walker
- son David Walker
- dau. Jean Walker born after 1766
- dau. Ketrane (prob. Katherine) Walker
The date of death for Alexander (28) as given by White fits the DOD that would be inferred from this will. Nonetheless, the
Child list given in the will corresponds poorly with the list in White 1902. The will suggests that a James Walker has married one of Alexander's daughters. White 1902 gives such a marriage between Ann Walker, day of Alexander, and James Walker. Ann is not mentioned in the will, so perhaps has died, or perhaps the list of children in the will is incomplete. Since we don't know the intermediate source of the will extract evaluating this is difficult.
- Page 264.--27th March, 1753. Borden, &c., to Mathew Robinson, 400 acres of 92100. Joseph Culton's cor., Back Creek; John Robinson's survey. Teste: John and James Robinson, Alex. Walker.
- Page 247.--27th March, 1753. Borden to John Robinson, 300 acres, part of 92100. Mathew Robinson's survey; Wm. Reagh's cor., Back Creek. Teste: Alex. Walker, James Robinson, Mathew Robinson.
- Page 193.--January, 1757. Saml. Paxton's appraisement, by James Walker, Andrew Hays, Alex. Walker.
- Page 392.--19th August, 1760. Andrew Duncan and Jane ( ) to Samuel Lindsay, Ł100.10, 190 acres on Walker's Creek in Borden's 92100; cor. Alex. Walker; James Moore's cor. Acknowledged, 19th August.
- Page 459.--9th November, 1765. Wm. Robertson's estate appraised, by Jno. Moore, Jas. Walker, Alex. Walker.
- Page 118.--18th May, 1768. Alexander Walker's bond (with Thomas Hudson, John Wallace) as administrator, c. t. a., of James Rutherford.
- Page 132.--6th July, 1768. William Kelly's estate appraised, by James Walker, Alex. Walker, Sr., Alex. Walker, John Moore.
From Source:White, 1902:263
ALEXANDER Walker...son of emigrant John Walker; b. May 19, 1716; m. Jane Hammer (or Hummer) Jan. 8, 1747. He d. in Rockbridge County, Va., in 1784 or 1785. His wife d. in Woodford County, Ky., in 1798. He was present at the ordination of Rev. Samuel Cummings, April 17, 1766. He served in the Colonial War.
Eleven children, viz:
- 1941*. John Walker; b. Nov. 1, 1847 [Sic, presumably this is 1747]; m. (1) Margaret Hudson, then Margaret Kelso +.
- 1942. William Walker; b. Aug. 8, 1749; m. Jane Walker, N'o. 3537
- 1943. James Walker; b. June 29, 1751; m. Margaret (Peggy) Gray +.
- 1944. Ann Walker; b. March 22, 1754. She m. her cousin, James Walker +
- 1945. Alexander Walker; b. Oct. 28, 1756; d. Aug. 18, 1764.
- 1946. Joseph Walker; b. July 16, 1760; d. Sept. 2, 1763.
- 1947. David Walker; b. March 7, 1763; m. Jane Holmes +.
- 1948. Alexander Walker (the second) ; b. July 12, 1765 ; m. Mary Magdelene Harmon +.
- 1949. Jane Walker; b. Jan. 6, 1768; m. Andrew McMahan +.
- 1950. Joseph Walker (the second) ; b. March 14, 1773 (or 1771) ; m. Katherine Kelso +.
- 1951. Catherine Walker; b. Feb. 4, 1775; m. Samuel Taylor +.
*Numbering system in White 1902
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Genealogy of the Descendants of John Walker of Wigdon, Scotland, by Emma Siggins White, published by Tuttle Antiquarian Boooks, Inc, p. 263.