Facts and Events
Alexander Dale was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 280.--20th September, 1763. William Gilmore's bond (with Jas. Gilmore, Alex. Dale) as administrator of Wm. Culberts. (Note: William and James Gilmore are likely brothers-in-law of Alexander Dale).
- Page 405.--6th March, 1765. Henry Kirkham's will--Wife, Mary; son. Robert, the land at the Great Spring; son, Samuel, a mare bought from Edward Gill; son, Michael, 50 acres between John Collier (Colyer) and John Wiley; son, John, 100 acres near John Collier's (Colyer) on the Dry Creek side; sons, Henry and Joseph, infants, land testator lives on to be divided by Richard Woods and Jno. Summers; to daughter Jane; to infant in wife's womb; daughters, Margaret and Elizabeth. If any of the heirs by former wife die infants. Executors, wife, Peter Wallace and Jno. Summers. Peter Wallace has authority to bind son John to his brother Samuel. Teste: Robt. Kirknam, Alex. Collier, Michl. Kirkham. Proved, 30th August, 1765, by Robert and Michael Kirkham. Peter Wallace refuses to execute. Others qualify, with Alex. Dale, Wm. Scott, Robt. Young.
- Page 435.--21st October, 1765. Sale bill recorded of William Culberts, by Wm. Gilmore, administrator, to, viz: Mary Brown, Margaret McCown, Patrick Denny, Andw. Fitzpatrick, Mary Boyls, Mary Ann Crawford, Jas. Logan, Wm. McCanless, David Guin, Jane Scot, Wm. Ooley, Jno. Selone, Jas. McCampbell, Richard McGee, Jean Muldrach, Alex. Dale, Chas. Boyles. Paid William Naper, Jannet Gilmore, Samuel Norwood, Blakeley Brush, Isabell Summers, Elizabeth Woods, Mary McCown, Sarah Davis, John Hays, Cryer of Vendue; James McNabb.
- Vol. 1 - MARCH 19, 1767. - (484) Alexr. and John Dale--jurors.
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER 17, 1767. - (341) Alexr. Dale appointed Constable, vice James Young. Joseph Bell appointed surveyor of highway from James Lessley's to fork of road leading to Staunton, vice Archd. Hamilton.
- Vol. 1 - MARCH 21, 1769. - (84) Constable: John Summers, vice Alexr. Dale.
- Vol. 1 - MARCH 18, 1773. - (23) Hemp certificate: Alexander Dale.
- Rootsweb Message Boards.
Alexander Dale and Isabella Gilmore built their first cabin in Rockbridge Co., VA along Kerr's Creek in 1748. Isaac Lawson and Robert Lawson Sr. are first shown in the county in 1782 along Kerr's Creek.
My Rockbridge Co., VA information states that three Dale children of Alexander Dale [about 1720-1786] and Isabella Gilmore [b: 1731] married children of Robert Lawson Sr.
Samuel Dale [b: 1771], 10th child of Alexander and Isabella, married Isabella Lawson [age over 21], sister of James Lawson, 28 Feb 1793. James Lawson signs marriage bond and Robert Sr. gives permission for marriage.
David Lawson married Hannah Dale [age over 21], sister of Samuel Dale, 16 Oct 1793. Samuel signs marriage bond.
James Lawson married Isabella Dale [age over 21], sister of Samuel Dale, 30 May 1791 Samuel signs marriage bond.
sources: Rockbridge County, VA - Marriage Bond 1778-1801 and Rockbridge Marriages LDS Microfilm # 0033799, Item 1; Record of Marriages 1782-1830. The marriage bonds can be found on the Rockbridge Co., VA genweb site.