Wanted videos [25 July 2010]
Feel free to create a video in any area you want. If you're looking for ideas, some are listed below.
- Attaching sources, images, and notes to your Person and Family pages
- Formatting text on pages
- Renaming pages
- Undoing changes
- Uploading images
- Annotating images
Connecting with others
- Creating your user profile page
- Getting notified of changes to pages
- Asking questions and leaving messages at the Watercooler
- Leaving messages for others and reading messages from others
- The MyRelate dashboard
- Sharing information with people outside WeRelate
"Create a person" video presumes that all names are unique. Obviously false. I know three people with my grandfather's name. What is the best way to disambiguate them?
Wikid 14:25, 15 July 2010 (EDT)
- Every person with the same given + surname gets a different "index number" appended to their page title. This index number is appended automatically when you create the page, which makes the page titles unique.--Dallan 21:17, 25 July 2010 (EDT)
Table of Contents Numbering [7 December 2012]
The menu for the Help section numbers the sections, but the sections themselves are not numbered. The same is true in the specialized Help sections, such as formatting and using images.
Since the linked section is positioned at the very top of the screen and is very often a single word to be clicked on to lead us somewhere else, it can be missed. Our eyes pick up the next item if it is more obvious.
Can the sections be numbered to match the table of contents? For those of us who print out the specialized Help sections to use repeatedly this would be extremely useful.
--goldenoldie 08:36, 6 December 2012 (EST)
- If we added section numbers to the headers, then the automatically-generated table of contents would repeat them; e.g., "1 1 Tutorials". If we wanted to avoid that, we'd need to manually generate the table of contents and add a __NOTOC__ to the page. Also, the section numbers would need to be manually maintained, so if someone were to insert a new section, they'd have to renumber all of the later sections and also update the table of contents. Is there a better way to do this? What about the ability to get a PDF of the help pages?--Dallan 12:17, 7 December 2012 (EST)
I see the problem. Frustrating. PDFs--we would have to be reminded to update them. --goldenoldie 15:09, 7 December 2012 (EST)
Example Pages [19 December 2012]
Some people learn by example in addition to or instead of using tutorial pages. Is there a set of page examples that could be added to this help section that may already exist for each of the various page types?--Khaentlahn 12:32, 19 December 2012 (EST)
- I agree that examples are very important - and I was surprised to see that at least some of our page-type specific help pages do not include them. Even those that do often don't include a very good selection. I'll see what I can do... --jrm03063 17:09, 19 December 2012 (EST)
- I've just added examples to the help documents for Person, Source, MySource and Images. Transcriptions already have examples on the help page. --jrm03063 19:18, 19 December 2012 (EST)
Not To Be Confused With - exapands differently when presented on peron/family pages [17 February 2013]
I may have outsmarted myself with this one. Notice Clovis I and Clotilde and Clovis I. --jrm03063 14:25, 17 February 2013 (EST)