Facts and Events
In 1796, Robert Sherrat married Isobel Spring. He was at that time a gardener in Nigg. About this same time, Isobel's sister Christian, who had married an aging laird, became a widow with a very young child. The newly married Robert and Isobel joined Christian on the Finzean estate in Birse, where Robert became the overseer. They had four children while living at Finzean, all of whom were baptised in the parish church at Birse. Sometime between 1808 and 1812, the family moved to nearby Tillyfruskie where they remained until Robert died in 1818. After Robert's death, his widow and the two younger children moved in with the oldest daughter Christian, who was by then married to James Cattanach and living in Woodend (near the Forest of Birse).
- ↑ Church of Scotland. Parish Church of Old Machar. Parish Registers, 1621-1854, 8 Dec 1796.
Church of Scotland, Old Parish Registers, Parish of Old Machar (1621-1854). "Robert Sherrets gardener in the parish of Nigg and Isobel Spring in the parish of Old Machar signified their purpose of marriage. Robert Spring being cautioner of their pledges. Being proclaimed in 2 several sabbaths without objection, they were married."
- Smith, Rev. Joseph. Birse List of Inhabitants, 1797.
SHERRAT Christ u/7
(Also living at Finzean, though not in same household, is Ann Sherrat.)
- Smith, Rev. Joseph. Birse List of Inhabitants, 1801.
SHERRAT Christ u/7
SHERRAT Mary u/7
LEY Ann servant
- Smith, Rev. Joseph. Birse List of Inhabitants, 1808.
Mr Sherrat (overseer)
Christn, Mary, Archd (u/7) Isabel (u/7) Sherrats
- Smith, Rev. Joseph. Birse List of Inhabitants, 1812.
(Note: Ramahaggan is close to Tillyfruskie, and is where the diet was held when this listing was made.)
- Church of Scotland. Parish Church of Birse. Old Parish Registers, Parish of Birse (1758-1854). (Birse, Aberdeenshire, Scotland), 23 Feb 1812.
"Alexander Smart in Boghead had a child baptised named Robert Sherrat before witnesses. Robert Sherrat in Tillyfruskie and Andrew Ross in Boghead."
- Church of Scotland. Parish Church of Birse. Old Parish Registers, Parish of Birse (1758-1854). (Birse, Aberdeenshire, Scotland), 28 Jan 1815.
"Alexr Smart in Boghead and his wife Susan Warden had a son baptised named Archd Sherrat. Mr R Sherrat in Tillyfrusky and Andrew Ross in Boghead there witnesses."
- Smith, Rev. Joseph. Birse List of Inhabitants, 1815.
SHERRAT Mr R
COLLIE Jas servant
COUTS Jas servant
COPLAND Cha servant
- Smith, Rev. Joseph. Birse List of Inhabitants, 1819.
CATANACH Archd u/7
COUTS Andrew servant
LEY Janet servant
GRANT Janet servant
SHERRET Mrs (widow)
- ↑ The marriage of "Robert Shirret and Isobel Spring" is also recorded a year later in the parish of Nigg, 24 Dec 1797.
- This family does not appear in the Lists of Inhabitants for 1822 and 1825. (The family of James Cattanach and Christian Sherret continues to live at Woodend in those years, but we no longer find the widow Isobel, or the other grown children Archibald, Mary, and Isobel in these lists.)