Person:Julius Leprince (1)

Julius Augustus Leprince
  1. Julius Augustus Leprince1842 - 1913
m. 8 Jun 1882
  1. Charles Edward Leprince1886 - 1945
Facts and Events
Name Julius Augustus Leprince
Gender Male
Birth? 1842 Charleston, South Carolina
Military[2] 13 Mar 1862 Charleston, SCEnlisted (Pvt.)
Military? 1 May 1865 Greensboro, NCParoled (Sgt.)
Marriage 8 Jun 1882 St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church in Charleston, SCto Irma Emilie KANAPAUX
Death[1] 11 Jul 1913 Charleston, South CarolinaCause: Apoplexy, aterio sclerosis pronounced by Dr. C. P. Aimar


_FREL: Natural

_MREL: Natural

_OFNM: /Users/psu/Pictures/Julius Augustus LePrince.jpeg

_SEQN: 1

_OFNM: /Users/psu/Genealogy/Historical Documents & Pictures/LePrince/Voluntaires Francais from Lafayette's Artillery.jpg

_SEQN: 2

_OFNM: /Users/psu/Genealogy/Historical Documents & Pictures/LePrince/Letter for LAfayette Artillery.jpg

_SEQN: 3

_OFNM: /Users/psu/Genealogy/Historical Documents & Pictures/LePrince/LePrince in Directory 1888.png

_SEQN: 4

_OFNM: /Users/psu/Genealogy/Historical Documents & Pictures/LePrince/JALePrinceCivilWarRecord_pg2.jpg

_SEQN: 5

_OFNM: /Users/psu/Genealogy/Historical Documents & Pictures/LePrince/JALePrinceCivilWarRecord_pg1.jpg

_SEQN: 6

_OFNM: /Users/psu/Genealogy/Historical Documents & Pictures/LePrince/Irma&JuliusLePrince.jpg

_SEQN: 7

_OFNM: /Users/psu/Genealogy/Historical Documents & Pictures/LePrince/BattleofHoneyHill117.png

_SEQN: 8

_OFNM: /Users/psu/Genealogy/Historical Documents & Pictures/LePrince/BattleofHoneyHill118.png

_SEQN: 9

_OFNM: /Users/psu/Genealogy/Historical Documents & Pictures/LePrince/BattleofHoneyHill119.png

_SEQN: 10

_OFNM: /Users/psu/Genealogy/Historical Documents & Pictures/LePrince/AELePrinceNews21Sep1857.pdf

_SEQN: 11

_OFNM: /Users/psu/Genealogy/Historical Documents & Pictures/LePrince/AELePrinceCivilWarRecord_pg2.jpg

_SEQN: 12

_OFNM: /Users/psu/Genealogy/Historical Documents & Pictures/LePrince/AELePrinceCivilWarRecord.jpg

_SEQN: 13

_OFNM: /Users/psu/Genealogy/Historical Documents & Pictures/LePrince/AE LePrince Confederacy Pardon Appeal.jpg

_SEQN: 14

1870 Census has him listed as being 38 years old which would put him at a birth date of 1832; however, I believe this to be wrong based on later censuses and military records. Julius lists both parents as being born in France on this census.

1880 Census, Julius is listed as an accountant living with his brother, Achille E. LePrince, and several others in a boarding house in Charleston.

1900 Census Julius is listed with his 7 children and his wife Irma. He is still a Bookkeeper and living on Bull Street.

1910 Census has him listed as living with Irma E, his wife, in Charleston, SC and also 5 of his daughters.

1910 Census has his age listed as 65 which would put his birth somewhere around 1845.

Rivers' Bridge Hickory Hill, Lawtonville Civil War South Carolina American Civil War February 3, 1865

On February 2, a Confederate force under McLaws held the crossings of the Salkehatchie River against the advance of the right wing of Sherman's Army. Federal soldiers began building bridges across the swamp to bypass the road block.

In the meantime, Union columns worked to get on the Confederates' flanks and rear. On February 3, two Union brigades waded the swamp downstream and assaulted McLaws's right.

McLaws retreated toward Branchville after stalling Sherman's advance for only one day.

Result(s): Union victory

Other Names: Salkehatchie River, Hickory Hill, Owens' Crossroads, Lawtonville, Duck Creek

Location: Bamberg County

Campaign: Campaign of the Carolinas (February-April 1865) next battle in campaign Campaigns

Date(s): February 3, 1865

Principal Commanders: Major General Francis P. Blair [US]; Major General Lafayette McLaws [CS]

Forces Engaged: Divisions: 6,200 total (US 5,000; CS 1,200)

Estimated Casualties: 262 total (US 92; CS 170)

He is the Executor of Charles Emile Kanapaux's will, Case Number: 198 0001

 Date of Case:  4/19/1870
 Roll Number: 026 	Frame Number: 632

From American Civil War Battle Summaries: HONEY HILL, S.C. NOV. 30TH, 1864

Honey Hill S. C., Nov. 30, 1864. Two Brigades of the Coast Division Department of the South, one Naval Brigade and portions of Three Batteries of light artillery. On the night of the 28th Brig.-Gen. John P. Hatch with 5,500 men left Hilton Head for Boyd's neck. Owing to a heavy fog the troops were not disembarked from the transports until late the following afternoon, and Hatch immediately started forward to cut the railroad near Grahamville. The maps and guides proved worthless, however, and not until the morning of the 30th was he able to proceed on the right road. At Honey Hill a few miles from Grahamville, he encountered the enemy with a battery of 7 guns across the road. An attack was immediately made but the position of the Federal force was such that only one section of artillery could be used at a time, and the Confederates were too well intrenched to be dislodged. Fighting was kept up until dark when Hatch, realizing the impossibility of successfully attacking or turning the flank of the enemy, withdrew his command, having lost 89 in killed, 629 wounded and 28 missing. The Confederate casualties amounted to 8 killed and wounded.

Source: The Union Army, vol. 6

From website:

The Napoleonic and Celtic Influence in France and Charleston

By Julian V. Brandt III

In 1793 Refugees from the French Revolution and Slave uprisings in San Domingo came to Charleston in large numbers. By the reign of Napoleon, the French community in Charleston embraced the romance and ideals of the French Revolution, but respected the stability and commerce of Great Britain. During the quasi war with France and disturbance of commerce on the high seas by both England and France Charlestonians began to prepare for War. Following the 1807 episode of the HMS Leopard attack of the US Ship Chesapeake and continued impressments of American seamen, several Militia companies were organized in Charleston. Between 1792 and 1813, 23 such companied had been organized. One Company of particular interest was The Union Alarm Company, a company of French exempt men who raised a company and elected officers on 16 July, 1812. Six of the Officers were to become founders of La Societe Francaise. Their Captain was Pierre Fayolle, who served with Lafayette during the American Revolution.

La Societe Francaise de Bienfaisance de Charleston was organized June 18th 1816, one year to the date after the Battle of Waterloo. Many of the French refugees in Charleston were Royalist, dispossessed of their titles and property. Mrs. James Parker has written a fascinating history of the story of Father Clorivier, Rector of St. Mary’s Church on Hasell Street who was the instigator of the “Infernal Machine Plot” designed to assonate Napoleon and Josephine. In May of 1821, shortly after Napoleons death, the Society adopted the “Fusiliers Francaise” organized in 1812, as their military arm. In March of 1825 when the Marquis de Lafayette visited Charleston, the Fusiliers Francasie and the Washington Light Infantry served as his personal honor guard. The Captain of the Fusiliers Francaise gave the orders in French and Lafayette was introduced to each man in the company and member of the Society. After Lafayette’s visit, the Company petitioned the state legislature to change their name and designation to The Lafayette Artillery. La Societe Francaise in 1861 emptied $500,000.00 in gold and securities from its treasury to fund the Lafayette Artillery’s war effort. The Society purchased the most up to date English cannon and French uniforms for this Company. Serving valiantly in the War Between the States the company surrendered after the Battle of Bentonville, NC. After reconstruction, the Company became part of the Coastal Artillery active through WWI, today the Lafayette Artillery is organized as a charitable organization.

Symbolism of our Banners

The United States of America, the “Star Spangled Banner” 15 stars and 15 stripes flown from 1795-1818, during the French Revolution through the Napoleonic Wars and founding of the Societe in 1816.

The Tricolor

The red, white and blue of the French National flag comes from the combination of the royal white and the Parisian red and blue ( the latter derived from the arms of Paris) The colours were combined for the first time when the ill-fated King visited Paris on July 17, 1789,a few days after the fall of the Bastille. LaFayette is often credited with this idea, that was to symbolize the reconciliation of the King with his subjects. The flag was standardized by Napoleon in 1804 and by 1812 the tricolour became the official French flag.

Flag of the Societe Francaise

The Society was founded June 18, 1816 on the first anniversary of Napoleon’s defeat at Waterloo. The flag of the Society uses the printing font used in the Society’s first official notices in the Charleston news papers, the rendition of the Palmetto tree from the period, used on the company flag of the Lafayette Artillery, the military arm of the Society. Below the palmetto is the society motto, Humanitati followed by the year of our founding 1816.

The Huguenot Flag
Used as the French National Flag, ca 1370-1604 with three gold fleurs-de-lis on a blue background this flag is also known as the Huguenot Flag..  This was the standard used by Jean Ribault, the Huguenot explorer in his exploration of the Carolina and Georgia coast in 1652. After the revocation of the edict of Nantes, the standard was changed to three gold fleurs-de -lis on a white background. The Huguenot flag is the flag our Huguenot ancestors would have known to represent a tolerant France.
Lafayette Artillery flag

The Colours of the Artillery Company were in the classic French style of two blue and one white bar, all in embroidered silk. On one side of the flag is the inscription “Lafayette Artillery” and on the other side is the Palmetto, and the motto “Cadamus non Cedemus” (we will fight, not give up) followed by the date of the organization of the battery.

Confederate Artillery Flag:

During the War Between the States, the Company used as its Battle flag the standard 38”x38” Artillery Battle flag. The original banner is still on display at the UDC Confederate Museum in Charleston.

The Rosette: Symbolism The Blue bulls eye “Rose” with the gold centre tie allude to the ancient French Banner, the “Huguenot Flag” with it’s blue background and gold “fleur de lis” while the white and red surround represent the colours of the City of Paris, the “Rondel” of Lafayette and the Tricolor. The surrounding cup in blue with three gold stripes represent the ancient flag. The rosette should be worn with the two gold stripes on the cup facing up and one on the bottom, an illusion to the ancient flag with fleur de lis, two over one.

The Society Tie: The tie incorporates the traditional red, white and blue of the Tricolor and France; the gold fleur de lis, two over one representing the ancient flag and the narrow red and white stripes representing the colors of the City of Paris used in the Tricolor and the traditional Bunting of the Confederate States of America and the Society’s commitment to the Lafayette Artillery and the cause.

La Société Française de Bienfaisance Post Office Box 416 Charleston, SC 29402

Membership is available to gentlemen of proven French descent or extraction, of sound mind and body, of good character over the age of eighteen years. The Society continues to support its motto Humanitati by supporting those in need with pensions and recognizing those who have made a significant contribution to the human condition.

Membership is by invitation only.

Where to find additional records: Confederate Survivors Association, Augusta, Georgia. (1878-1926) 78-06 and (old 83-01)

Reese Library. Augusta State University, Augusta, Ga. Summary. Correspondence, membership applications, printed items, financial records, roster book, and committee reports. Access. No Restrictions. Microfilmed. 2000 Citation. Confederate Survivors Association Records. Augusta, Georgia. Reese Library Collections, Augusta State University, Augusta, Georgia. Biographical/Historical Note. The Confederate Survivors= Association of Augusta, Georgia, was regularly organized on May 3, 1878 but had its beginning in an older organization known as the Cavalry Survivor=s Association, Augusta, Georgia, in 1866. This may have been one of the earliest Confederate veteran=s organizations. Captain William B. Young was the president of the Cavalry Survivor=s Association for twelve years until merged with the Confederate Survivors= Association in 1878.

The Confederate Survivors= Association was a benevolent, historical and social association dedicated to preserving the comradeship of those who served all functions of Confederate military and naval service. Membership was based upon service accompanied with endorsements verifying that service. The CSA adopted the United Confederate Veteran=s constitution on February 7, 1894, but not without concern of loss of individual identity. The Augusta Confederate Survivors Association became Camp No. 435 of the United Confederate Veterans however retained its original name. In 1896 the Augusta CSA petitioned the UCV to change its name to Confederate Survivors Association so that the C. S. A. could be retained.

Presidents, or commanders, of the association included General Clement A. Evans (1878-79); Colonel Charles G. Jones, Jr (1879- July, 1893); Captain F. E. Eve, (1894-May, 1897), Salem Dutcher, (1897- 1899); H. B. Smith, (1889-1900); George W. McLaughlin, (1900- ?). The list of association presidents is incomplete in available records; George T. Lamback, (1912); A. J. Twiggs, (1921) and General J. D. Fooshee, (1936).

Membership in the Confederate Survivors Association numbered upwards to approximately 900 members not all in the Augusta, Georgia. Some were absentee members. The majority of the membership drives occurred during the week including and following Confederate Memorial Day beginning April 21 of each year. Applications were made by printed form and by letter. The printed form measured 52 by 82 inches (13.8 by 21.5cm). There are three versions of the printed form. Earliest October 30, 1878 with minor variations in printing, a second version, displaying the Confederate Battle Flag in color, from about 1897, and a third from about 1917, 52 by 9 inches (13.8 by 22.8cm), displaying a waving Texas-style Confederate Battle Flag, with large white star in center of crossed bars.

List of Records.

Membership Applications. 3 Folders. (2 inches)

The majority are by printed application form. Others applied by letter or note. Applications, some incomplete, include name, date of birth, place of birth, rank, service organization (in detail), and the names of those verifying service. Applications are arranged alphabetically. The applications do not show allow the members, some gaps exist.

Folder 1. Membership Applications, A - F. Arranged alphabetically.

Original Forms. 87 - 52 by 82 inches (13.8 by 21.5 cm).

Letters. 14 - 8 by 11 inches (20.1 by 25.5 cm) average.

Notes. 09 - 4 by 6 inches (10 by 15 cm) average.

Folder 2. Membership Applications, G - O. Arranged alphabetically.

Original Forms. 100 - 52 by 82 inches (13.8 by 21.5 cm).

Letters. 18 - 72 by 102 inches (18.7 by 26.5 cm) average.

Notes. 19 - 4 by 6 inches (10 by 15 cm) average.

Folder 3 . Membership Applications, P - Z. Arranged alphabetically.

Original Forms. 99 - 52 by 82 inches (13.8 by 21.5 cm).

Letters. 16 - 72 by 102 inches (18.7 by 26.5 cm) average.

Notes. 20 - 4 by 52 inches (10 by 13.6 cm) average.

Roster of Surviving Members.

Association roster book (2 inch) containing ARoster of the Surviving Members of Confederate Survivors Association of Augusta, Ga.@ and ANecrological Record of Assn.@ original inventory number 1466. This record was prepared by Charles Edgeworth Jones, association historian, on January 25, 1895. There are five sections in the ledger;

1) A tabbed index in alphabetical order listing names of members in, evidently, order of election.

2) Alphabetical listing of members with pages numbers referring to application information. Name are not listed in alphabetical order on each page.

3) Member Listing. Arranged in near chronological order by name of man when he joined the association. The listing provides details members military service, position of service in the association, month and year joined, month and year resigned, and on occasion date of death.

4) Necrological Record. Arranged chronological order by year-long groups from 1878 - 1898; this listing provides names of member dying with the indicated year groups.

5) Member Tally. Handwritten on inside cover is a tally of members from 1878 to 1898. The notations from 1897 - 1898 include the number of members on hand, dropped, resigned, or dead

1. Tabbed pages. 21 - 7 X 12 inches. (18.2 X 30.6 cm). No entries for Letters X and Z.

2. Alphabetical Index with page numbers. 27 - 7 X 12 inches. (18.2 X 30.6 cm).

3. Member Listing. (Begins at page 45) 32 - 15 X12 inches ( 37.3 X 30.6 cm)

4. Necrological Record. 3 - 7 X 12 inches. (18.2 X 30.6 cm).

5. Member Tally. 1 - 7 X 12 inches. (18.2 X 30.6 cm).

Correspondence Files. 1880 - 1926. (2 inches)

General correspondence relating to membership, deaths and memorials, reunions, reorganization, and historical matters.

Folder 4. 1880 - 1890.

Folder 5. 1891 - 1926.

Committee Reports.

Drafts of Confederate Survivors Association constitution, memorial for death of Jefferson Davis, the design of an association badge, adopting a uniform, and assistance for the maimed, needy and disabled. Most are undated drafts. Printed constitution and by-laws of the United Confederate Veterans.

Folder 6. (7 pieces, 2 inch).

Speeches and Memorials.

Drafts of speeches given on Confederate Memorial Day and memorials for deceased members.

Folder 7. (6 pieces, 2 inch).


Unclassified letters, memorial pamphlets, invitations, bank book, material for the dedication at Stone Mountain, Georgia, convention materials, two packets of blank membership applicants; one from 1898 and the other after turn of the 20th century. from off prints of speeches and U. S. Senate Bills.

Folder 8. (13 pieces, 3/4 inch)


Receipts for goods and services used by the Confederate Survivors Association. Arranged in no order.

Folder 9. (2 inch).

Record Book. Confederate Survivors Association. 1 3/4 inch. (No. 83-01)

This record book was presented to the Confederate Survivors Association on April 26, 1894 and maintained until 1909 The record contains minutes of meetings, newspaper clippings, letters from individuals, copies of speeches, histories, applications and resignations from the association, a Arunning@ ledger of association accounts and expenditures, general orders and circulars from the United Confederate Veterans, and an originally signed letter from Mrs. Jefferson Davis.

The 315 pages measure, in maximum, 10 X 13 2 inches. The record book is leather bound with end binding, gold edged pages and inscribed in gold leaf , ARecord Book, Confederate Survivors Association. Presented April 26th 1894.@ An old inventory number, 1591, is located on the upper left corner of the inside front cover.

Collection assembled and inventoried by William R. Wells, II BA, MEd. Augusta State University. February - March, 2000.

  1. Died of Apoplexy and arteriosclerosis, home was 52 Bull Street, Burial in St. Lawrence Cemetery
  2. John T. Kanapaux's Battery, Lafayette's Light Artillery,
    South Carolina Volunteers

    "The Lafayette Light artillery was formed late in 1861 with about 60 officers and men. It was first stationed at Fort Pickens (stono), then was assigned to the Dept. of SC, GA, and Fl, & was active in the Charleston area and in various locations in SC. During February, 1865, it totaled 81 effectives and in April was attached to C.L. Stevenson's Division, Army of TN. Captain J.T. Kanapaux was in command."
    - Joseph H. Crute, Units of the Confederate States Army.