Original Suggestion and Discussion
Many historical photos are found on Wikimedia Commons. Is there now, or could we have, a shortcut to using them directly (the Commons says "Unlike media files uploaded to other projects, files uploaded to Wikimedia Commons can be embedded on pages of all Wikimedia projects without the need to separately upload them there.") Or if not, perhaps some way to pull in the image information automatically?--Amelia 19:00, 31 July 2011 (EDT)
- It appears this will be available once I update the mediawiki software, which probably won't happen for several months yet because it's a fairly big job.--Dallan 11:21, 12 September 2011 (EDT)
- I also would love to see this happen! This will be 'InstantCommons', yes? I've used it on a few sites, and it's brill. As for the upgrade, any news on when that might happen? 1.7.1 is really getting a bit long in the tooth these days! :-) — Sam Wilson ( Talk • Contribs ) … 21:46, 26 February 2012 (EST)
- This sounds like an excellent idea. Dallan - is it worth having another admin brought on board to help out with technical jobs like this? AndrewRT 19:12, 28 May 2012 (EDT)
- That's a great idea. If you know php, I'd love the help. I'll also put out a "call for volunteers" on the homepage.--Dallan 16:38, 5 June 2012 (EDT)
- What sort of help do you need, Dallan? I'm a PHP developer, and would love to help if there's anything I can do. — Sam Wilson ( Talk • Contribs ) … 19:46, 6 June 2012 (EDT)
- Thanks! I've decided to make the WeRelate codebase freely available on github, so others can install locally and help with the coding. WeRelate has a lot of "moving parts" (gedcom uploader, solr-based search engine, indexer, various scripts run by cron jobs, etc.) so it's going to take me awhile to make everything easily installable on another system. I expect I'll get everything ready to post in github sometime in July. The first task I'd like help with is to upgrade to the latest version of mediawiki. For more information, see: WeRelate:Call for code volunteers.--Dallan 16:31, 10 June 2012 (EDT)
- --Lidewij 09:49, 1 June 2012 (EDT)
- Hi Dallan - thanks for getting back to me on this. Sadly I don't know PHP but I know some people who do so I can ask around and see if we can get some volunteers! AndrewRT 18:45, 12 June 2012 (EDT)
- I know nothing I'm afraid! Well, apart from some wiki markup I've picked up from editing wikipedia. AndrewRT 14:28, 30 November 2012 (EST)
2012 Status per Dallan
Status: depends upon WeRelate:Suggestions/Upgrade MediaWiki
2016 Admin Follow up
We are currently working through the backlog of suggestions.
I have searched high and low across the past discussions to see if I could find the definite final answer on whether or not WeRelate would get a Mediawiki upgrade to enable this request to be fulfilled. I can not find the final decision, but most of what I did find in the 2012-2014 timeframe seems to indicate that plans to upgrade were part of the potential inclusion into Wikimedia. When that partnership was not realized, the plan to upgrade the software was abandoned.
If this is accurate, then the status of this request should be changed to Rejected, since it is not possible.
If this is not accurate, please respond to let us know why.
We will move this suggestion to the archive unless an objection or response is received within 10 days. --cos1776 22:31, 28 October 2016 (UTC)
- Moving to rejected. --cos1776 18:32, 18 November 2016 (UTC)