I have been researching my family history for about 20 years. I am concentrating on my mother's paternal line, the Cowans. My Cowan ancestors were Scotch-Irish who immigrated to Ulster Ireland, then (possibly) Pennsylvania, then Rockbridge County Virginia, then Washington County Tennessee, and, after the Civil War to Missouri. I have been stuck on my Tennessee ancestors for so long that I decided to focus my research on this area and find as much as I can about the area and the allied families.
Member -- East Tennessee Historical Society
Education -- B. A. Zoology. I work at a natural sciences Museum in the Southeast as an librarian/archivist for their historical documents. I also catalog photographs and digtial images.
My Cowan ancestors
1. Eugene Woodville Cowan (b. Missouri, d. Oregon)
2. Royal Woodville Cowan (b. Tennessee, d. Saline, Marshall, Missouri)
3. Robert B. Cowan (b. Tennessee, d. Missouri)
4. James Cowan (b.?Virginia, d. Washington Co., Tenn)
5. John Cowan (brother of #4. wife Sarah Walker Paxton)
5. John Cowan (married Polly Montgomery)
I reached a brick wall with James Cowan of Tennessee. I have been stuck for so long I decided to make Washington County my specialty. I am currently researching the FAN club of James Cowan: Friends, Allies and Neighbors.
Allied families: Stephenson, Dickinson, Bell, Clark, West, Mitchell, Doak, Paxton, Walker, Gray
My most challenging brick wall
1. John Cowan who married Polly Montgomery. A unsourced family chart done in the early 1900s by a relative states that John is the immigrant ancestor and his wife was Polly Montgomery. I can not find any evidence of this couple.