First Ladies National Historic Site is a United States National Historic Site located in Canton, Ohio. The site was established in 2000 to commemorate all the United States First Ladies and comprises two buildings: the Ida Saxton McKinley Historic Home and the Education & Research Center.
Tours start at the Education & Research Center, located one block north of the Saxton McKinley house on Market Avenue. The 1895 building, formerly the City National Bank Building, was given to the National First Ladies’ Library in 1997.
The first floor features a theater, a large exhibit/ meeting space and a small library room with a collection of books that replicates First Lady Abigail Fillmore's collection for the first White House Library. The center's second floor comprises the main National First Ladies' Library. Other floors contain conference rooms, storage and office space.
The Ida Saxton McKinley Historic Home preserves the home of the wife of U.S. President William McKinley. The brick Victorian home, built in 1841 and modified in 1865, is furnished for the Victorian era. Costumed docents proved tours, and exhibits focus on President and Mrs. McKinley, photos of First Ladies, and Victorian decorations.
Admission to the First Ladies National Historic Site includes both the exhibits in the Education & Research Center and a guided tour of the Ida Saxton McKinley Historic Home. Reservations for the house tour are recommended due to limits on tour size. Reservations are required for groups of 6 or more.
The site is operated and managed by the National First Ladies' Library in a partnership agreement with the National Park Service.
Compiles and posts profiles of the U.S. First Ladies, as well as additional resources about them.