Place:Wrotham, Kent, England

Watchers


NameWrotham
Alt namesBrotehamsource: Domesday Book (1985) p 150
TypeVillage
Coordinates51.3°N 0.317°E
Located inKent, England
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Wrotham (pronounced ) is a village on the Pilgrims' Way in Kent, at the foot of the North Downs. It is one mile north of Borough Green and approximately five miles east of Sevenoaks. It is within the junction of the M20 and M26 motorways.

The name first occurs as Uurotaham in the year 788; it means 'homestead of a man called Wrōta.'

The village has a high number of pubs; there are three within a hundred yards of each other. They are The Rose and Crown, The George and Dragon and The Bull Inn.

There is a separate village called Wrotham Heath about two miles to the south-east.

Close by is the Wrotham transmitting station, which was the first transmitter in the UK to broadcast on FM in 1955, and now carries the main national FM radio frequencies for most of London.

Wrotham shows extensive signs of occupation by the Romans, and it has been claimed that the Wrotham Pinot, a disease-resistant variety of the Pinot noir grape found in Wrotham churchyard, is descended from vines brought by the Romans.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Wrotham. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.