Place:Farnham Rural (parish), Surrey, England

NameFarnham Rural (parish)
Alt namesBadshot Leasource: hamlet in parish
Halesource: hamlet in parish
Wreckleshamsource: hamlet in parish
TypeCivil parish
Coordinates51.214°N 0.797°W
Located inSurrey, England     (1894 - 1933)
See alsoFarnham, Surrey, Englandancient parish from which it was formed in 1894
Farnham Rural, Surrey, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1933
Tilford, Surrey, Englandnew parish into which the area was transferred in 1933
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog

The Local Government Act of 1894 introduced the principle of dividing the counties into municipal and county boroughs (which had existed before) and also into urban districts and rural districts. It was felt that urban and rural districts would require slightly different forms of local administration. A number of parishes in existence up and down the country covered substantial areas of countryside as well as their more built-up cores. These parishes were separated into their urban portions, which usually became "urban districts", and their rural sectors which joined a group of neighbouring parishes to make up a "rural district". In most cases the rural sectors were given names that indicated the town from which they had been carved. Hence, Farnham Rural (parish) was established in 1894 out of the part of the earlier parish of Farnham that was deemed to be rural.

When it was constituted, Farnham Rural (parish) surrounded the town of Farnham (see the Ordnance Survey map of Surrey of 1900) and also absorbed the earlier parish of Waverley. It included the villages and hamlets of Tilford, Wrecklesham, Hale and Badshot Lea. In 1902, 1914, 1924 and 1933, tranches of the rural parish were absorbed into Farnham. When the final tranche was transferred Farnham Rural (parish) was left with a sector on the southeast of the town in which the village of Tilford was located (see the Ordnance Survey map of Surrey of 1933). At this point Farnham Rural (parish) was abolished and the remainder of the area was renamed Tilford parish.

Surrey Research Tips


Administrative boundaries of the county of Surrey (Surrey History Centre. The centre has a website with a number of useful indexes--titheholders in various parishes, deaths at the county gaol, etc.)

Registration Districts

  • Registration Districts in Surrey from their introduction in 1837 to the present. By drilling down through the links you can follow any parish through the registration districts to which it was attached.

GENUKI provisions

The website GENUKI provides a very comprehensive list of reference sources for the County of Surrey. It includes:

  • Archives and Libraries
  • Church record availability for both Surrey and the former Surrey part of Greater London
  • 19th century descriptions of the ecclesiastical parishes
  • Lists of cemeteries
  • Local family history societies
  • A list of historic maps online


  • The Victoria History of the County of Surrey is a series of three volumes available online through British History Online. The volumes were written over the past hundred or so years by a number of authors and cover various sections of Surrey. A list of the volumes and what each contains can be found under the source Victoria History of the County of Surrey. Both volumes 3 and 4 contain areas which are part of Greater London and parts of modern Surrey.

Parishes in the Alton Hundred of Hampshire and the Farnham Hundred of Surrey have been omitted from the Victoria County Histories. This may be because they were set up later than the other hundreds.