Place:Tilford, Surrey, England

TypeVillage, Civil parish
Coordinates51.183°N 0.748°W
Located inSurrey, England     (1933 - )
See alsoFarnham Rural (parish), Surrey, Englandparish from which it was formed in 1933
Hambledon Rural, Surrey, Englandrural district in which it was located 933-1974
Waverley District, Surrey, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog
the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Tilford is for the most part a wooded village centred at the point where the two branches of the River Wey merge in Surrey, England, southeast of Farnham. From 1894 until 1933 it was part of Farnham Rural (parish) and prior to that was part of Farnham ancient and civil parish.

Surrey Research Tips


Administrative boundaries of the county of Surrey (Surrey History Centre. The centre has a website with a number of useful indexes--titheholders in various parishes, deaths at the county gaol, etc.)

Registration Districts

  • Registration Districts in Surrey from their introduction in 1837 to the present. By drilling down through the links you can follow any parish through the registration districts to which it was attached.

GENUKI provisions

The website GENUKI provides a very comprehensive list of reference sources for the County of Surrey. It includes:

  • Archives and Libraries
  • Church record availability for both Surrey and the former Surrey part of Greater London
  • 19th century descriptions of the ecclesiastical parishes
  • Lists of cemeteries
  • Local family history societies
  • A list of historic maps online


  • The Victoria History of the County of Surrey is a series of three volumes available online through British History Online. The volumes were written over the past hundred or so years by a number of authors and cover various sections of Surrey. A list of the volumes and what each contains can be found under the source Victoria History of the County of Surrey. Both volumes 3 and 4 contain areas which are part of Greater London and parts of modern Surrey.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Tilford. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.