Place:Caddington, Bedfordshire, England

Watchers
NameCaddington
Alt namesAley Greensource: from redirect
Slip Endsource: from redirect
Woodsidesource: hamlet in parish
Cadendonesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 29
TypeParish
Coordinates51.85°N 0.45°W
Located inBedfordshire, England
Also located inHertfordshire, England     ( - 1897)
See alsoDacorum Hundred, Hertfordshire, Englandhundred in which it was located
Hemel Hempstead Rural, Hertfordshire, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1897
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog


Caddington is a large village and parish in Bedfordshire. Until 1897 the parish straddled Hertfordshire and Bedfordshire, with the western two thirds of the parish being in Hertfordshire and the eastern third (which included the parish church of All Saints) in Bedfordshire. The county boundary went right through the middle of Caddington village. There were several sizable hamlets in the parish, notably including Slip End, Aley Green, Woodside (which became an ecclesiastical parish in 1892), and part of Markyate. Since 1897 the parish has been entirely within Bedfordshire, although at the same time a small part of the parish's former territory was ceded to the new parish of Markyate created at that time. In the early 2000s the parish was split again, with the former hamlet of Slip End becoming a separate civil parish within Bedfordshire.

Woodside

Woodside was a hamlet in the parish of Caddington, Bedfordshire. In 1892 it became a separate ecclesiastical parish, with the new church at Woodside serving both Woodside and the neighbouring hamlet of Slip End. Woodside and Slip End remained part of the civil parish of Caddington until 2000, when the the civil parish of Slip End was created.


Research Tips