- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Witton Shields from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "WITTON-SHIELDS, a township in Long Horsley parish, Northumberland; 7 miles NW by W of Morpeth. Acres: 574. Population: 19. Houses: 5."
Witton Shields was a township in the ancient parish of Long Horsley and became a separate civil parish in 1866. In 1955 the civil parish was abolished. It is assumed it was absorbed into the civil parish of Netherwitton. Witton Shields is a very narrow township between Stanton and Netherwitton and Stanton was absorbed by Netherwitton at that time.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.