|Alt names||Witton-Gilbert||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Durham, England|
|See also||Chester Ward, Durham, England||ancient county division in which it was located before 1829|
|Durham Ward, Durham, England||ancient county division in which it was located after 1829|
|Chester le Street Rural, Durham, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1937|
|Durham Rural, Durham, England||rural district of which it was part 1837-1974|
|City of Durham District, Durham, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-2009|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Witton Gilbert is a village and civil parish in County Durham, England. It is situated to the northwest of Durham.
The village once had a railway station on the
Lanchester Valley Line,but this was closed in the early 1960s, with passenger service withdrawn in the late 1930s.
Witton Gilbert is a medieval town originally Saxon. Witton was originally spelled Witun (Wit meaning white house and Tun meaning fortified place). Gilbert was added later and could be derived from the Norman lord Gilbert de la Ley or a later lord Gilbert de la Latone. In medieval times Witton Gilbert was very central being important to churchmen of Durham and contains a retreat where the great Churchmen resided. Other occupants who visited included royalty such as King Edward III and Queen Phillipa also Edward I.
- end of Wikipedia contribution
Witton Gilbert was an ancient parish in the Chester Ward of County Durham until 1829 when it was transferred to the newly-formed Durham Ward. It was made a civil parish in the 19th century and became part of the Chester le Street Rural District from 1894 until 1937. In 1937 it was moved to Durham Rural District. At the same time its area was reduced with the formation of Sacriston civil parish. Between 1974 and 2009 it became part of the larger City of Durham non-metropolitan district. Since 2009 County Durham has been a unitary authority. (Source: A Vision of Britain through Time)
In the 2011 UK census it had a population of 2,419.
A nineteenth century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Witton Gilbert from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "WITTON-GILBERT, a village and a parish in Chester-le-Street district, Durhamshire. The village stands near the Consett railway, 3¼ miles NW by W of Durham; took the latter part of its name from Gilbert de la Ley, the owner of the manor in the time of Bishop Pudsey; and has a post-office under Durham, and a [railway] station. The parish includes five hamlets, and comprises 2,535 acres. Real property: £10,544; of which £4,300 are in mines, and £1,351 in railways. Population in 1851: 1,758; in 1861: 2,098. Houses: 421. The property is divided chiefly among four. A lepers' hospital was founded here by Gilbert de la Ley; and is now represented by only a fragment in a farmhouse. The living is a rectory, united with Kimbleworth, in the diocese of Durham. Value: £303. Patrons: the Dean and Chapter of [Durham]. The church was rebuilt in 1859. The vicarage of Sacristan is a separate benefice. There are several Methodist chapels, two national schools, and charities £15."
Categories: Durham, England | Witton Gilbert, Durham, England | Chester Ward, Durham, England | Durham Ward, Durham, England | Chester le Street Rural, Durham, England | Durham Rural, Durham, England | City of Durham District, Durham, England