- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
Winstone is a village and civil parish in the English county of Gloucestershire which forms part of the Cotswold District.
A 19th century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Winstone from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "WINSTONE, a parish, with a village, in Cirencester [registration] district, Gloucester; 6 miles N W by N of Cirencester [railway] station. It has a post-office under Cirencester. Acres: 1,437. Real property: £1,046. Population: 230. Houses: 53. The manor belongs to Sir J. Rolt. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value: £290. Patron: Sir J. Rolt. The church is early English. There are a Baptist chapel and a national school.
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- The Victoria History of Gloucestershire chapter on Winstone, available online on the website British History Online.
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Winstone, Gloucestershire, England | Bisley Hundred, Gloucestershire, England | Cirencester Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucestershire Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Cirencester Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Cotswold District, Gloucestershire, England