Place:Winson, Gloucestershire, England

TypeCivil parish
Coordinates51.77°N 1.871°W
Located inGloucestershire, England
See alsoBibury, Gloucestershire, Englandparish in which it was a chapelry
Bradley Hundred, Gloucestershire, Englandhundred in which it was located
Northleach Rural, Gloucestershire, Englandrural district in which it was located 1935-1974
Cotswold District, Gloucestershire, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Winson from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"WINSON, a chapelry in Bibury parish, Gloucester; 6 miles NE of Cirencester [railway] station. Post town: Fairford, under Swindon. Acres: 1,190. Rated property: £1,454. Population: 181. Houses: 49. The manor belongs to Sir W. A Musgrave. The living is annexed to Bibury. The church is good; and there is a national school."

The parish was located between the parishes of Bibury and Coln St. Dennis. Wikipedia describes Winson as one of four hamlets in the parish of Coln St. Dennis. Winson is still on the 1943 Ordance Survey map mentioned below. No references have been found as to when this merger took place. It must therefore be assumed that a major alteration of parish boundaries occurred following the adoption of the Cotswold District in 1974.

Research Tips

Online sources which may also be helpful:

  • A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 9/Bradley hundred in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online
  • Three maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrate the changes in political boundaries over the period 1830-1945. All have expanding scales and on the second and third this facility is sufficient that individual parishes can be inspected.
  • Gloucestershire Hundreds as drawn in 1832. This map was prepared before The Great Reform Act of that year. Note the polling places and representation of the various parts of the county.
  • Gloucestershire in 1900, an Ordnance Survey map showing rural districts, the boundaries of the larger towns, the smaller civil parishes of the time, and some hamlets and villages in each parish
  • Gloucestershire in 1943, an Ordnance Survey map showing the rural districts after the changes to their structure in the 1930s
  • A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
  • GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
  • A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. The compiler has gone to a lot of work to provide this material. Respect his copyright.
  • The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
  • English Jurisdictions, a supplementary website to FamilySearch outlining local parish boundaries in the middle on the 19th century. The information provided is especially useful for establishing the relationship of the ecclesiastical parishes in large towns and cathedral cities.
  • Ancestry UK has recently added Gloucestershire Burials, 1813-1988; Confirmations, 1834-1913; Baptisms, 1813-1913; Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1813; and Marriages and Banns, 1754-1938. (entry dated 1 Aug 2015)