|Type||Township, Chapelry, Civil parish|
|Located in||Durham, England|
|See also||Gainford, Durham, England||ancient parish in which it was a township|
|Darlington Ward, Durham, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Barnard Castle Rural, Durham, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1974|
|Teesdale District, Durham, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-2009|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Whorlton is a small village in County Durham, England. It is situated near the River Tees and to the east of Barnard Castle. The population of the civil parish (including Westwick) was 302 in the UK census of 2011.
Whorlton Bridge is a 183ft long suspension bridge which crosses the River Tees. It is Britain's oldest suspension bridge relying on original chainwork.
Whorlton was originally a township in the ancient parish of Gainford in County Durham. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 it was part of Barnard Castle Rural District. Between 1974 and 2009 it became part of the larger Teesdale non-metropolitan district. Since 2009 County Durham has been a unitary authority.
A nineteenth century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Whorlton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "WHORLTON, a township-chapelry in Gainford parish, Durham; 3¼ miles SW of Winston [railway] station, and 3¾ ESE of Barnard-Castle. It has a post-office under Darlington. Acres: 1,760. Real property: £2,420. Population: 292. Houses: 54. The property is subdivided. Limestone is quarried. The living is a [perpetual] curacy in the diocese of Durham. Value: £107. Patron: the Vicar of Gainford. The church is good."
Categories: Durham, England | Whorlton, Durham, England | Gainford, Durham, England | Darlington Ward, Durham, England | Barnard Castle Rural, Durham, England | Teesdale District, Durham, England