Whitfield is an ancient village and civil parish in the English county of Kent. Part of the parish, a large settlement located at the junction of the A2 and A256 roads and some four miles (6.4 km) north of Dover, has become a suburb of the Dover urban area.
The original village (Church Whitfield) can claim ancient roots in that evidence of both Roman and Saxon settlements have been unearthed. The village church, dedicated to St Peter, has two Saxon windows, and the bell is from the 13th century, or earlier. St. Peter's Church is a 10th Century Saxon Church largely rebuilt in Norman times, though the church is first mentioned in 762 AD. It was restored and enlarged in 1894.
There is also an early Congregational Chapel in the village (Chapel Road) dating to 1781 but rebuilt in 1867. Whitfield also had its own windmill for many years, with a bakery beneath. It was built in about 1755 and was owned by generations of the Cadman family. In 1900 the mill was left to decay and was finally demolished in 1916 though the mill house still stands in Napchester Road.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Whitfield, Kent.