|Alt names||Charlcott||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Freefolk Priors||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Witcerce||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 116|
|Witcere||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 125|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Hampshire, England|
|See also||Evingar Hundred, Hampshire, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Whitchurch Rural, Hampshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1932|
|Kingsclere and Whitchurch Rural, Hampshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1932-1974|
|Basingstoke and Deane District, Hampshire, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
|There are 8 different parishes named Whitchurch around England and Wales--according to the 2011 UK census. Care should be taken in selecting the right one.
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Whitchurch is a town in Hampshire, England. It is on the River Test, 13 miles (21 km) south of Newbury, Berkshire, 12 miles (19 km) north of Winchester, 8 miles (13 km) miles east of Andover and 12 miles (19 km) miles west of Basingstoke.
The West of England Main Line links the town's railway station to London. Two main roads bypass the town (the A34 road – a major north-south route, and the A303 road – a major east-west route).
Whitchurch had a population of 4,870 according to the UK census of 2011.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Whitchurch, Hampshire.
- Victoria County History of Hampshire, volume 4, chapter on Whitchurch.
- GENUKI has a list of archive holders in Hampshire including the Hampshire Record Office, various museums in Portsmouth and Southhampton, the Isle of Wight Record Office and Archives.
- The Hampshire Online Parish Clerk project has a large collection of transcriptions from Parish Registers across Hampshire.
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 together with tables listing the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered, along with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The three-storey City Museum in Winchester covers the Iron Age and Roman periods, the Middle Ages, and the Victorian period.
- Volumes in The Victoria County History Series are available for Hampshire through British History Online. There are three volumes and the county is covered by parishes within the old divisions of "hundreds".
- A collection of maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrating the English county of Hampshire over the period 1832-1932 (the last two are expandible):
- A group of maps of the post-1974 municipal districts or boroughs of Hampshire on Wikipedia Commons
Categories: Hampshire, England | Whitchurch, Hampshire, England | Evingar Hundred, Hampshire, England | Whitchurch Rural, Hampshire, England | Kingsclere and Whitchurch Rural, Hampshire, England | Basingstoke and Deane District, Hampshire, England