- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
Whitby was a township in the ancient parishes of Eastham and Stoak in the Wirral hundred which became a civil parish in 1866. It included the hamlets of Ellesmere Port and Whitbyheath. The civil parish was abolished in 1911 to become part of Ellesmere Port.
The population was 89 in 1801, 72 in 1851, and 91 in 1901. In 2001 the town of Ellesmere Port had a population of 64,100.