Place:Dorking Rural (parish), Surrey, England

Watchers
NameDorking Rural (parish)
TypeCivil parish
Coordinates51.2115°N 0.3275°W
Located inSurrey, England     (1894 - 1933)
See alsoDorking, Surrey, Englandcivil parish from which Dorking Rural parish was carved in 1894
Dorking Rural, Surrey, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1933
Dorking and Horley Rural, Surrey, Englandrural district to which the area was transferred in 1933
Mole Valley (district), Surrey, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
Milton, Surrey, Englandcivil parish absorbing part of Dorking Rural Parish in 1933
Holmwood, Surrey, Englandcivil parish absorbing part of Dorking Rural Parish in 1933
Wotton, Surrey, Englandcivil parish absorbing part of Dorking Rural Parish in 1933
source: Family History Library Catalog

Dorking Rural Parish was created from Dorking Parish in 1894 when rural and urban districts were originally set up. The parish wrapped around Dorking on three sides: the west, south and east; and included areas sometimes known as Milton, Holmwood, Brockham and Westcott. It became part of the Dorking Rural District and was established because the needs of rural areas were different to the needs of towns. In 1933 Dorking Rural District was abolished and the Rural Parish was divided between Milton and Holmwood parishes (both newly established in 1933) and Wotton parish (which had existed previously). All three parishes became part of Dorking and Horley Rural District in 1933. Since 1974 the whole area has been part of the Mole Valley District.
(Source:A Vision of Britain through Time and the map of Surrey from the UK Boundary Commission of 1917 on the same website.)