|Alt names||Wesberie||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 115|
|Westberie||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 115|
|Westbury on Severn||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 115|
|Type||Village, Civil parish, Urban district|
|Located in||Gloucestershire, England|
|See also||Westbury (hundred), Gloucestershire, England||hundred in which part of the parish was located|
|Duchy of Lancaster (hundred), Gloucestershire, England||hundred in which part of the parish was located|
|Gloucester Rural, Gloucestershire, England||rural district of which it became a part in 1935|
|Forest of Dean (district), Gloucestershire, England||administrative district which absorbed it in 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Westbury-on-Severn is a rural village in Gloucestershire, England, and the centre of a large, rural parish of the same name.
The village is situated on the A48 road (between Minsterworth and Newnham-on-Severn) and bounded by the River Severn to the south and west.The village has a parish council and from 1894 until 1935 was an urban district.
The village has a large parish church, which is distinctive because the steeple is not attached to the main building. A fire which burned down the old wooden building soon after the new steeple was completed. Within the porch of the church are several full crosses and markings of crosses made during the English Civil War.
The parish of Westbury-on-Severn comprises more than twelve separate settlements [not named in Wikipedia or A Vision of Britain through Time].
After its time as an urban district ended in 1935, Westbury-on-Severn became a part of Gloucester Rural District until 1974 when it joined the Forest of Dean District local authority.
Westbury-on-Severn (1837 - 1937)
Gloucester Rural (1937 - 1974)
Forest of Dean (1974 - 2006)
Gloucestershire (2006 - )
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- The Victoria History of Gloucestershire chapter on Westbury-on-Severn, available online on the website British History Online.
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Westbury (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Duchy of Lancaster (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Gloucester Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Forest of Dean (district), Gloucestershire, England | Westbury-on-Severn Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucester Rural Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Forest of Dean Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucestershire Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Westbury-on-Severn, Gloucestershire, England