- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Minsterworth is a village in Gloucestershire in England. It lies on the border of the city of Gloucester, on the northwestern bank of the River Severn and on the A48 road between Gloucester and Chepstow.
Minsterworth is governed locally by a parish council. It is under Tewksbury Borough Council and Gloucestershire County Council.
The village has a long history, at one stage being owned by the rebellious baron Simon de Montfort (c. 1208 – 1265). Its economy used to be heavily involved with salmon-fishing in the Severn, as illustrated by a carving in the local church of three salmon caught in a fishing net. Fishing for elvers remains an important activity.
The local church, St. Peter's, lies right next to the river, with three ancient yews in the churchyard. It was rebuilt by Henry Woodyer (who had earlier worked on the nearby church in Highnam) in 1870. However, St. Peter's contains many older features such as a fifteenth-century baptismal font, a Jacobean era pulpit and part of a fourteenth-century cope.
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
- Unfortunately, A History of the County of Gloucester in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online does not cover this part of the county
- There is a brief reference to Minsterworth in the Victoria County History.