Place:West Thornton, Northumberland, England

NameWest Thornton
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates55.173°N 1.849°W
Located inNorthumberland, England     ( - 1955)
See alsoHartburn, Northumberland, Englandancient parish in which it was a township
Morpeth Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Morpeth Rural, Northumberland, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1955
Hartburn, Northumberland, Englandparish into which it was absorbed in 1955
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of East Thornton and West Thornton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"THORNTON (East and West), two townships in Hartburn parish, Northumberland; 7 miles W by N of Morpeth. Acres: 1,026 and 1,047. Population: 65 and 62. Houses: 11 and 13.

West Thornton was originally a township in the ancient parish of Hartburn, Northumberland. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1955 it was part of Morpeth Rural District. In 1955 it was abolished and absorbed back into Hartburn, the neighbouring parish on the south.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.