Washington County was created on March 28, 1781, from part of Westmoreland County. Both the county and the city were named for American Revolutionary War leader George Washington, later to become the first President of the United States. The county is home to Washington County Airport, located three miles (5 km) southwest of Washington, Pennsylvania.
Washington County is included in the Pittsburgh metropolitan area.
When Washington county was originally formed (1782), 13 townships were established. The following is an approximate map of the township boundaries at that time, based on the modern township boundaries, and eliminating townships that were formed after 1782. Note that the modern township maps do not necessarily preserve the orignal township boundaries; this map should be used only as a first approximation of where the original township boundaries lay. If a precise knowledge of boundaries is needed, other sources should be used. Note that two of the original townships (Cumberland and Morgan) lay in what is now Green County Pennsylvania. Finley and Pike Run Townships were formed after the initial townships had been established. It is not immediately clear which townships they were derived from More work needed.
A depiction of the modern townships of Washington County is given in the Wikipedia article Wikipedia:Washington County, Pennsylvania. This includes a depiction of burroughs and "census Designated places. These areas are not largely independent of the surrounding township boundaries, but are a relatively modern construction. The following depiction excludes these areas as far as practical.