- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
Prosperity is an inhabited place.
NOTE: The Prosperity Cemetery has an alternate name "Upper Ten Mile United Presbyterian Church Cemetery", named for the Church which was one of the first churches established in this locality. Upper Ten Mile was an older township that appears no longer functioning. But when old documents use the term Upper Ten Mile in Washington County, they are speaking of the same area in which this church was located. It appears that the area was also, at some time or another, was called Lindley's Mill.
This website was helpful by telling this bit of history:
- "Demas Lindley with his family came in 1773 to settle west of the Monongahela, in the section of country which afterwards became Washington County, and with him came about twenty other families, all from New Jersey, and nearly all from the county of Morris, which had been Mr. Lindley's home before his emigration. Four of the families settled on the south fork of Ten-Mile Creek, near Jefferson, Greene County. The others settled at different points on the north and middle forks of the same creek. Demas Lindley located upon four hundred acres of land situated on the middle fork of Ten-Mile, adjacent to the lands of Caleb and John Lindley, James Draper, and J. McVaugh. This property was warranted to him Feb. 5, 1785, and surveyed December 6th of the same year, receiving the title of "Mill Place," its location being very near the present village of Prosperity."
And this was found at Interment.net:
- "The church has an extensive cemetery up the hill to its rear (north). A marker at the foot of the property celebrates Lindley Fort. The church and likely the cemetery were located on land donated by Demas Lindley."