Wanstrow is a village and civil parish 6 miles (9.7 km) southwest of Frome in the Mendip District of Somerset, England. Since 1933 the parish includes the village of Cloford. According to the UK census of 2011, the parish had a population of 489.
The village was involved in the production of coarse earthenware, using clay dug on Wanstrow Common, until 1826.
1822 - Somersetshire Delineated by Christopher and John Greenwood
A parish in the hundred of Frome, 6 miles S. W. from Frome; containing, with the hamlet of Weston, 64 inhabited houses, and 93 families, 60 of whom are employed in agriculture. The church is dedicated to St. Mary, and consists of a nave, chancel, and two side aisles, with a tower containing five bells. The living is a rectory, in the deanery of Frome; Rev. Thomas Valentine, incumbent; instituted 1818. Population, 1801, 325—1811, 365—1821, 397.
1875 - Somersetshire edited by Edward Robert Kelly
WANSTROW is a village, and station on the branch from Witham to Wells on the Great Western railway, 123 miles from London, 5 north-east from Bruton, and 6 from Frome (its nearest market town), in the Eastern division of the county, eastern division of Frome hundred, Frome union, county court district, and rural deanery, Wells archdeaconry, and diocese of Bath and Wells, situated, on the high road from Bruton to Frome. The church of St. Mary is a stone building, in the Early English style, having a chancel, nave, aisles, transept, tower with 5 bells, porch, and organ. The register is supposed to date from about the year 1628. The living is a rectory, yearly value £360. with residence and 60 acres of glebe land, in the gift of Mrs. C. S. Clarke, and held by the Rev. Cicero Babbitts, B.A., of Worcester College, Oxford, non-resident; the Rev. Christopher Bousfield, M.A., of Queen's College, Oxford, is curate in charge. There is a National school for boys and girls, where a Sunday school is also held; also chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists. Mrs. C. S. Clarke, who is lady of the manor, and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners are the chief landowners. The soil is principally clay, and the subaoil stone and clay, but the latter predominates. The land is pasture, and a little arable, and dairy farming is carried on very extensively. The acreage is 2,054; gross estimated rental, £3,757 2s. 3d.; rateable value, 3,377 9s. 8d.; the population in 1871 was 396.
1929 - Somerset by George Woosung Wade & Joseph Henry Wade
Wanstrow, a village 6 m. S.W. of Frome, with a station on the G.W.R. branch to Wells. The church is ancient, but without interest.
General Somerset Tips