The parish contained the hamlets of Leighton and Holwell, both redirected here.
1822 - Somersetshire Delineated by Christopher and John Greenwood
A parish in the hundred of Frome, and part of Hillhouse liberty, situate 4½ miles S.W. from Frome, on a brook that rises in the parish of Wanstrow: it contains two hamlets, Leighton and Holwell; the latter is romantically situated in a deep and narrow valley, to the south-west of the parish of Nunney; it is called in old writings Holy-waters, from a well there, over which was a chapel formerly visited by pilgrims. On the east-side of Cloford-common is a very extensive wood, called Postlebury, the remaining vestige of a considerable Roman villa. The church is dedicated to St. Mary, and consists of a nave, chancel, and side aisle or chapel. The living is a vicarage, in the deanery of Frome; Rev. Thomas Williams, incumbent; instituted 1801. Population, 1801, 257 — 1811, 308 — 1821, 312.
1875 - Somersetshire edited by Edward Robert Kelly
CLOFORD is a village and parish, 118 miles from London, 2 north-east from Wanstrow station on the East Somerset railway, and 5 south-west from Frome, in the Eastern division of the county, hundred, union and county court district of Frome, rural deanery of Frome, archdeaconry of Wells, and diocese of Bath and Wells, situated on the high road from Bruton to Frome. The church of St. Mary is a stone building, in the Third-Pointed style, restored in 1856, and has a chancel, nave, and an embattled tower with 2 bells, organ and vestry on the north of the chancel: the nave was rebuilt in 1856, and a new chancel was erected in 1809, at the cost of the late Rev. J. S. H. Horner; on the north side of the nave is the Horner chapel, wherein lie interred members of that family; it contains an altar monument to Maures Horner, esq., who died In 1621, and a quaint monument to Sir George Horner, knt., who died in 1676, and of his lady, who survived him some years. The register dates from the year 1561. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £100, with residence and 7 acres of glebe land, in the gift of John Francis Fortescne Horner, esq., and held by the Rev. Richard George Boodle, M.A., of Oriel College, Oxford. There is a National school for boys and girls, wherein a Sunday school is held. In 1797 a sura of £1,000 was left by Mr. Thomas Harris, Alderman of Bristol, who was born at Broadgrove Farm, In the parish of Cloford, to women, natives of Cloford, upon their marriage: a new scheme for the guidance of the trustees in the distribution of this charity was issued by the Charity Commissioners in 1862 : the present ex-officio trustees are the vicar, churchwardens and overseers of the parish of Cloford; The Earl of Cork; J. F. F. Horner, esq., and Richard Horner Paget, esq., are appointed trustees by the Charity Commissioners. John Francis Fortescue Horner, esq., lord of the manor, and the Earl of Cork, are the principal landowners. The soil is stiff clay; the subsoil is limestone. The principal part of the land is in pasturage for dairy purposes. The area is 2,243 acres, rateable value, £2,291; the population in 1871 was 193.
1929 - Somerset by George Woosung Wade & Joseph Henry Wade
Cloford, a small village, 2 m. N.E. of Wanstrow. The church, rebuilt in 1856, has a tiny side chapel, containing a monument to Maurice Horner (d. 1621), and a tablet with some quaint-coloured busts to Sir G. Horner and his wife (1676). LEIGHTON is a hamlet, a mile and three quarters west, with a Primitive Methodist chapel.
HOLWELL is a hamlet, half a mile north.