|Alt names||Upton||source: Getty Vocabulary Program|
|Upton upon Severn||source: Rand McNally Atlas (1994) I-181|
|Located in||Worcestershire, England|
|Also located in||Hereford and Worcester, England (1974 - 1998)|
|Worcestershire, England (1998 - )|
|See also||Oswaldslow (hundred), Worcestershire, England||hundred covering the parish until 1760|
|Pershore (hundred), Worcestershire, England||hundred covering the parish after 1760|
|Upton-upon-Severn Rural, Worcestershire, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1974|
|Malvern Hills District, Hereford and Worcester, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-1998|
|Malvern Hills District, Worcestershire, England||district municipality covering the area from 1998 onward|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Upton-upon-Severn (or Upton-on-Severn) is a small town and civil parish in the Malvern Hills District of Worcestershire, England, on the River Severn. According to the national census 2001 it had a population of 2,859. Located from Malvern, the bridge at Upton is the only one across the river Severn between Worcester and Tewkesbury. The present bridge was built in 1940.
Upton was founded in 897. Oliver Cromwell's soldiers crossed the Severn here to win the battle of Upton before the main Battle of Worcester in the English Civil War. The town has a distinctive tower and copper-clad cupola known locally as the Pepperpot and the only surviving remnant of a former church.
- end of Wikipedia contribution
From 1894 until 1974 it was a parish in the Upton-upon-Severn Rural District. Since 1974 it has been part of the Malvern Hills District, first in the county of Hereford and Worcester, and then, since 1998, in Worcestershire again.
There is a sketchmap of the parishes of Upton-upon-Severn Rural District on the rural district page.
- Ordnance Survey Maps of England and Wales - Revised: Worcestershire illustrates the parish boundaries of Worcestershire when rural districts were still in existence and before the West Midlands came into being. The map publication year is 1931. The map blows up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets. Maps in this series are now downloadable for personal use.
- British History Online has a collection of local maps from the Ordnance Survey 1883-1893. Rural areas are included, but these may be especially useful for investigation the suburbs of large towns.
- GENUKI makes a great many suggestions as to other websites with worthwhile information about Worcestershire as well as leading to a collection of 19th century descriptions of each of the ecclesiastical parishes.
- The Midlands Historical Data project produces searchable facsimile copies of old local history books and directories of interest to genealogists. It specialises in the three counties of Warwickshire, Worcestershire and Staffordshire, working closely with libraries, archives and family history societies in the area. Digital images are made freely available to participating organisations to improve public access. Free search index on its web-site to all its books. In many cases payment will be required to see the extract.
- organization charts of the hierarchies of parishes within hundreds, registration districts and rural and urban districts of the 20th century
- excerpts from a gazetteer of circa 1870 outlining individual towns and parishes
- reviews of population through the time period 1800-1960
- More local sources can often be found by referring to "What Links Here" in the column on the left.
Categories: Worcestershire, England | Upton-upon-Severn, Worcestershire, England | Oswaldslow (hundred), Worcestershire, England | Pershore (hundred), Worcestershire, England | Upton-upon-Severn Rural, Worcestershire, England | Malvern Hills District, Hereford and Worcester, England | Malvern Hills District, Worcestershire, England