- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Upper Slaughter is a village in the English county of Gloucestershire located in the Cotswold District located 4 miles (6.4 km) south west of the town of Stow-on-the-Wold. Nearby places include Lower Slaughter and Bourton-on-the-Water.
The village is built on both banks of the River Eye. The Anglican parish church is dedicated to St. Peter.
Stow-on-the-Wold (1837 - 1937)
North Cotswold (1937 - 2006)
Gloucestershire (2006 - )
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- Upper Slaughter from A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 6/Slaughter hundred] in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county