Place:Tortworth, Gloucestershire, England

Watchers
NameTortworth
Alt namesTortewordsource: Domesday Book (1985) p 115
TypeHamlet, Civil parish
Coordinates51.633°N 2.433°W
Located inGloucestershire, England     ( - 1974)
Also located inAvon, England     (1974 - 1996)
Gloucestershire, England     (1996 - )
See alsoGrumbalds Ash (hundred), Gloucestershire, Englandhundred in which the parish was located
South Gloucestershire, Gloucestershire, Englandunitary authority of which it has been part since 1996
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Tortworth is a hamlet, and civil parish, near Thornbury in South Gloucestershire within the ceremonial county of Gloucestershire, England. It had a population of 150 in the UK census of 2001.

Tortworth is noted for a huge and ancient chestnut tree, believed to be over 1000 years old. The tree, in St. Leonard's churchyard, looks like a small wood because many branches of the main trunk have taken root. Boundary records compiled in the reign of King John already shown the "Great Chestnut of Tortworth" in South Gloucestershire, as a landmark; and it was also known by the same name in the days of King Stephen. This tree measured over 50 feet in circumference at 5 feet from the ground in 1720.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Tortworth. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
Fundraiser
Help fund new features!