Place:Tilbrook, Bedfordshire, England

Watchers
NameTilbrook
Alt namesTilbrooksource: Bedfordshire Record Office
TypeParish
Coordinates52.311°N 0.416°W
Located inBedfordshire, England     ( - 1896)
Also located inHuntingdonshire, England     (1896 - 1965)
Huntingdon and Peterborough, England     (1965 - 1974)
Cambridgeshire, England     (1974 - present)
See alsoSt Neots Rural, Huntingdonshire, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1974
Huntingdonshire District, Cambridgeshire, Englanddistrict municipality in which it has been located since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog


Tilbrook is a village and civil parish 1 mile (2.7km) southeast of Covington and 9 miles (15.4km) west of Huntingdon in the Huntingdonshire District of Cambridgeshire.

It was originally located in Bedfordshire where it was in the Kimbolton SubDistrict of St Neots Registration District and Poor Law Union. In 1896 this part of Bedfordshire was transferred to Huntingdonshire and Tilbrook became part of the St Neots Rural District. In 1965 the county of Huntingdonshire was merged with Peterborough to become the county of Huntingdon and Peterborough. This short-lived county was transferred to Cambridgeshire in 1974.

To indicate how close to the Bedfordshire-Huntingdonshire border Tilbrook was, Covington was always in Huntingdonshire.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Tilbrook from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"TILBROOK, a parish in the district of St. Neots and county of Bedford; 1½ mile NW of Kimbolton [railway] station. Post town, Kimbolton, under St. Neots. Acres: 1,680. Real property: £1,945. Pop.: 329. Houses: 78. The manor belongs to Lord St. John. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value: £388. Patron: Lord St. John. The church is good. There are Moravian and Wesleyan chapels, and a national school."

Research Tips

  • Original historical documents relating to Huntingdonshire are held by Cambridgeshire Archives and Local Studies at the County Record Office in Huntingdon.
  • A History of the County of Huntingdon in 3 volumes from British History Online (Victoria County Histories), published 1911. This is by far the most complete history of the parishes of the county to be found online. The chapters are ordered by the divisions of the county called hundreds, but each chapter is linked to the volume's content page.
  • GENUKI has a page on Huntingdonshire and pages for each of the ecclesiastical parishes in the county. These give references to other organizations who hold genealogical information for the local area.
  • The FamilyTree Wiki has a series of pages similar to those provided by GENUKI which may have been prepared at a later date.
  • A Vision of Britain through Time, section "Units and Statistics" leads to analyses of population and organization of the county from about 1800 through 1974. There are pages available for all civil parishes, municipal boroughs and other administrative divisions.
  • Map of Huntingdonshire divisions in 1888 produced by UK Ordnance Survey and provided online by A Vision of Britain through Time
  • Map of Huntingdonshire divisions in 1944 produced by UK Ordnance Survey and provided online by A Vision of Britain through Time
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Tilbrook. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.