- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Tellisford is a village and civil parish in Somerset, England, 6 miles northeast of Frome in the Mendip District.
Since 1933 the parish has included the former separate parish of Woolverton
1875 - Somersetshire edited by Edward Robert Kelly
TELLISFORD is a parish and village 4 miles south-west from Freshford railway station, 4½ from Bradford-on-Avon, 5 north-east from Frome, and 9 south-west from Bath,in the Eastern division of the county, Wellow hundred, Frome union and rural deanery, Bath county court district, Wells archdeaconry, and diocese of Bath and Wells, situated on the river Frome, which here divides Somersetshire from Wiltshire, and is crossed by a stone bridge. The village was partially destroyed by fire in 1785. The church of All Saints is an ancient structure, restored and re-pewed in 1854, having chancel, nave, tower with 2 bells, and porch. The register dates from the year 1539. The living is a rectory, yearly value £173, with residence and 59 acres of glebe land, in the gift of, and held by, the Rev. Charles Francis Baker, M.A., of Exeter College, Oxford. The parochial school is endowed with £10 yearly. Here is a fulling mill. The trustees of the late T. H. Houlton, esq., are ords of the manor. The principal landowner is William Goldsmith, esq. The soil is loamy; subsoil, grit and freestone. The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley, and beans. The area is 757 acres; rateable value, £1,139; and the population in 1871 was 103.
1929 - Somerset by George Woosung Wade & Joseph Henry Wade
Tellisford, a small village 1 m. S. of Farleigh Hungerford. Its church has a passing likeness to that at Farleigh; it preserves within the porch a stoup and a fair Trans. doorway.
- The Somerset Heritage Centre (incorporating what was formerly the Somerset Record Office and the Somerset Local Studies Library) can be found at its new location at Langford Mead in Taunton. It has an online search facility leading to pages of interest, including maps from the First and Second Ordnance Survey (select "Maps and Postcards" from the list at the left, then enter the parish in the search box).
The Heritage Centre has an email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Three maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrate the changes in political boundaries over the period 1830-1945. All have expanding scales and on the second and third this facility is sufficient that individual parishes can be inspected.
- Somerset Hundreds as drawn in 1832. This map was prepared before The Great Reform Act of that year. Note the polling places and representation of the various parts of the county.
- Somerset in 1900, an Ordnance Survey map showing rural districts, the boundaries of the larger towns, the smaller civil parishes of the time, and some hamlets and villages in each parish
- Somerset in 1943, an Ordnance Survey map showing the rural districts after the changes to their structure in the 1930s