|Alt names||Arderne||source: hamlet in parish|
|Birch Heath||source: hamlet in parish|
|Cobblers Green||source: hamlet in parish|
|Rhuddall Heath||source: village in parish|
|Torpelei||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 54|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish, Urban district|
|Located in||Cheshire, England|
|See also||Eddisbury Hundred, Cheshire, England||hundred in which it was located|
|Northwich Rural, Cheshire, England||rural district of which it was a part 1936-1974|
|Vale Royal District, Cheshire, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-2009|
|Cheshire West and Chester District, Cheshire, England||district municipality and unitary authority covering the area since 2009|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Tarporley is a large village and civil parish in Cheshire, England. It is bypassed by the A49 and A51 roads and is considered a picturesque village for both visitors and residents, holding a regular country market on the first Saturday of each month.
At the 2001 UK census, the population was 2,634, falling slightly to 2,614 at the 2011 UK census. Tarporley civil parish also contains the village of Rhuddall Heath. Since 2009 it forms part of the unitary authority district of Cheshire West and Chester.
The Urban District of Tarporley was created in 1894 and was abolished in 1936. From 1936 until 1974 Tarporley was a part of the Rural District of Northwich, until that district's abolition as a result of the Local Government Act 1972. From 1 April 1974 Tarporley formed part of the borough of Vale Royal, within Cheshire and was included in the new unitary authority of Cheshire West and Chester on 1 April 2009.
- end of Wikipedia contribution
Tarporley was a township in Tarporley ancient parish in Eddisbury Hundred (SJ 5562), which became a civil parish in 1866. It includes the hamlets of Arderne (part), Birch Heath, Cobblers Green and Rhuddall Heath. The population was 674 in 1801, 1171 in 1851, 1454 in 1901, and 1538 in 1951. (Source: GENUKI)
Tarporley, Cheshire, in A Vision of Britain Through Time
- The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
- A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
- Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.
Categories: Cheshire, England | Tarporley, Cheshire, England | Eddisbury Hundred, Cheshire, England | Northwich Rural, Cheshire, England | Vale Royal District, Cheshire, England | Cheshire West and Chester District, Cheshire, England