- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Sturston is a deserted village and civil parish in the English county of Norfolk. It is situated some 7.5 miles north of the town of Thetford and 25 miles south-west of the city of Norwich.
The village became deserted when it was taken over by the British Army during the Second World War as part of the Stanford Battle Area, an infantry training area that is still in use today. The village and most of the parish are within a prohibited area and access is not allowed without special permission from the Army.
The civil parish has an area of 7.81 km² and in the 2001 census had no inhabitants. For the purposes of local government, the parish falls within the district of Breckland.
- GENUKI provides a list of references for Sturston. Some entries lead to free online transcriptions of registers and censuses.
- GENUKI also advises that the following lists for Norfolk are to be found in FamilySearch:
- England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1510-1997
- England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812
- England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941
- England, Norfolk Marriage Bonds, 1557-1915
- England, Norfolk Non-conformist Records, 1613-1901