|Name||Stretton (near Malpas)|
|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Cheshire, England|
|See also||Broxton (hundred), Cheshire, England||hundred in which it was situated|
|Great Boughton Registration District, Cheshire, England||registration district of which it was part 1837-1871|
|Chester Registration District, Cheshire, England||registration district of which it was part after 1871|
|Chester Rural, Cheshire, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1974|
|Cheshire West and Chester, Cheshire, England||unitary authority in which it is located since 2009|
|Tilston, Cheshire, England||ancient parish in which the township was located until 1866|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
NOTE: There is another place named Stretton in the northern part of Cheshire West and Chester.
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Stretton is a civil parish in the unitary authority of Cheshire West and Chester and the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England. The small, rural parish includes the hamlets of Stretton and Wetreins Green (pronounced Wetrens or Wet-er-ans). The parish also includes Stretton Hall, Stretton Lower Hall, Stretton Old Hall, and also the working museum Stretton Watermill.
Stretton means "settlement on a Roman Road" (from the Old English stræt and tun). In this case the road ran from Whitchurch in Shropshire to Chester.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Stretton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "STRETTON, a township in Tilston parish, Cheshire; 4¼ miles N W of Malpas. Acres: 900. Real property: £1,278. Population: 94. Houses: 18."
- The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
- A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
- Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.
Categories: Cheshire, England | Broxton (hundred), Cheshire, England | Great Boughton Registration District, Cheshire, England | Chester Registration District, Cheshire, England | Chester Rural, Cheshire, England | Cheshire West and Chester, Cheshire, England | Tilston, Cheshire, England | Stretton (near Malpas), Cheshire, England
Help fund new features!