|Alt names||Bovivum||source: Romano-British Placenames [online] (1999) accessed 16 August 2004|
|Tillestone||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 54|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Cheshire, England|
|See also||Broxton (hundred), Cheshire, England||hundred in which it was situated|
|Great Boughton Registration District, Cheshire, England||registration district of which it was part 1837-1871|
|Chester Registration District, Cheshire, England||registration district of which it was part after 1871|
|Tarvin Rural, Cheshire, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1974|
|Cheshire West and Chester, Cheshire, England||unitary authority in which it is located since 2009|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Tilston is a village and a civil parish which, since 2009, has been located in the unitary authority of Cheshire West and Chester and the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England. At the 2001 Census, the population was recorded as 627.
Tilston was an ancient parish and included the townships of Carden, Grafton, Horton and Stretton.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Tilston from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "TILSTON, a township and a parish in Great Boughton district, Cheshire. .The township lies 3 miles NW of Malpas, and 7 SSW of Tattenhall [railway] station. Acres: 758. Real property: £1,572. Population: 382. Houses: 89.
- "The parish contains 4 other townships, and comprises 3,644 acres. Post town, Malpas, under Whitchurch. Population: 817. Houses: 176. Three manors, with Carden Hall, belong to J. H. Leche, Esq.; Horton manor, to the Rev. J. Y. Dod; and Grafton, to Lord Stanley of Alderley. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester Value: £336. Patron, alternately the Marquis of Cholmondeley and T. T. Drake, Esq. The church is good. There are two Methodist chapels, an endowed school with 16 a year, and charities, £5."
- The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
- A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
- Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.
Categories: Cheshire, England | Broxton (hundred), Cheshire, England | Great Boughton Registration District, Cheshire, England | Chester Registration District, Cheshire, England | Tarvin Rural, Cheshire, England | Cheshire West and Chester, Cheshire, England | Tilston, Cheshire, England