The village of STONE CREEK is the only community in Jefferson Township, one of 22 townships in Tuscarawas County, Ohio. The first settler was John Hawk who arrived in 1827 from Pennsylvania. Jefferson Township was organized in 1837, and the John Hawk farm was located near the center of the township, on Section 13.
In 1840 John Hawk donated a lot in Section 13 for a church and graveyard. It became a joint Lutheran and German Reformed church in 1849, and was known as "ZION'S CONGREGATION". The two faiths met on alternate Sundays.
In 1854 Phillip Leonhard laid out a village he named Phillipsburg, located about a half mile south of the Zion's Congregation, in the Stone Creek Valley. By 1865 there were only 13 houses in the village. When the Marietta & Cleveland Railroad arrived in the valley, the village began to grow. Adam FREDERICK Regula (who has a WeRelate page) was the first merchant. There was a fire in 1877 at the Zion's Congregation church, and the congregation was relocated to Phillipsburg. The graveyard remained of course, it is now the Stone Creek Cemetery, which is the main cemetery for the whole township. A 1975 image of the cemetery is attached to a number of WeRelate pages.
In 1890 the joint Zion's Congregation separated into its original Lutheran and German Reformed faiths, resulting in two chuches in the town. The name of Phillipsburg was changed in circa 1905 to STONE CREEK.
Stone Creek has had some commercial activity over the years. It is recalled that there was a brick manufacturing company in the village. In the 1960s Interstate Highway 77 was constructed from Cambridge, Ohio to Cleveland. It passed near Stone Creek, and an interchange was included.
--White Creek 16:31, 12 January 2013 (EST)