|Alt names||Stoches||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 115|
|Stoke-Orchard||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Type||Hamlet, Civil parish|
|Located in||Gloucestershire, England|
|See also||Tewkesbury Hundred, Gloucestershire, England||hundred in which part of it was located|
|Cleeve Hundred, Gloucestershire, England||hundred in which part of the parish was located|
|Tewkesbury Rural, Gloucestershire, England||rural district in which it was situated 1894-1935|
|Cheltenham Rural, Gloucestershire, England||rural district in which it was situated 1935-1974|
|Tewkesbury District, Gloucestershire, England||district municipality of which it is a part|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Stoke Orchard is a village or hamlet northwest of Cheltenham in Gloucestershire, England in the Tewkesbury District. It neighbours the villages of Elmstone Hardwicke, Tredington and Bishop's Cleeve.
Stoke Orchard, which from 1894 was a member of the Tewkesbury Rural District, combined with neighbouring Tredington, as Stoke Orchard parish in 1935. At the same time it was transferred to Cheltenham Rural District until 1974. The two villages are part of a large ecclesiastical parish with two other villages nearer to the River Severn.
Stoke Orchard is now part of the Tewkesbury District.
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- Bishop's Cleeve from A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 8/Tewkesbury hundred makes several mentions of Stoke Orchard. A History of the County of Gloucester is part of the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Stoke Orchard, Gloucestershire, England | Cleeve Hundred, Gloucestershire, England | Tewkesbury Hundred, Gloucestershire, England | Tewkesbury Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Cheltenham Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Tewkesbury District, Gloucestershire, England