Stoke Damerel was one of the ancient parishes of Devon. The village was a little way inland, but the parish included stretches of the coast west of Plymouth. The town of Plymouth Dock grew up in the parish around dockyards established at the start of the 18th century. Plymouth Dock was renamed Devonport in 1823. Devonport was constituted a Municipal Borough in 1837, with the Borough covering the whole of Stoke Damerel parish. Stoke Damerel parish was formally abolished in 1888, just before Devonport Municipal Borough was made a County Borough in 1889.
Devonport County Borough was in turn abolished in 1914, becoming part of Plymouth County Borough. Plymouth was made a city in 1928.
The former village of Stoke is now surrounded by suburban development.