Place:Devonport, Devon, England

NameDevonport
Alt namesPlymouth Docksource: Pre-1824
TypeBorough (municipal), Borough (county)
Coordinates50.37°N 4.179°W
Located inDevon, England
See alsoRoborough Hundred, Devon, Englandhundred in which the borough was located
Stoke Damerel, Devon, Englandformer parish on which Devonport was based
Plymouth, Devon, Englandborough into which Devonport was absorbed in 1914

The town of Devonport was developed around the Royal Navy dockyards on the banks of the Tamar. The town was originally called Plymouth Dock, but in 1823 changed its name to Devonport. From 1837 there was a Devonport Municipal Borough, which covered the ancient parish of Stoke Damerel within which Devonport lay. In 1888/9 both the old parish of Stoke Damerel and the municipal borough of Devonport were abolished, being replaced with the Devonport County Borough. This body continued until 1914, when it was absorbed into the Plymouth County Borough. Plymouth was made a city in 1928.

History

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia


Research Tips