Stelling Minnis is a village and civil parish in the Shepway District in Kent, England. The village lies 13 kilometres (8 mi) to the south of Canterbury, and to the east of the B2068 road, Stone Street, the Roman road, which takes traffic between Lympne and Canterbury.
A "minnis" was ancient common pasture land cleared from the wooded upper slopes on the high clay caps of the Kent chalk downland. The word 'minnis' is believed to derive from the Saxon word (ge)maennes, which means 'common land used as pasture'. It has been suggested that these areas, which were characteristically on the higher reaches of the Downs, formed large tracts of common unenclosed 'waste' grassland used by a number of distant settlements. In the 17th century, most of these minnises were incorporated into the manorial lands and the commoners excluded. The enclosure acts took most of the Kent minnises, but commoners retained access to Stelling Minnis, and a village grew to take its name.
Stelling Minnis Common, comprising 124 acres (50 Ha), is privately owned by the Trustees of the estate of the late Lord Tomlin of Ash and is one of the last remaining manorial commons in Kent. Grazing has continued here for hundreds of years as an important element of subsistence farming.
Stelling Minnis was originally an extra parochial area in Loningborough Hundred. Between 1894 and 1974 it was part of the Elham Rural District. Since 1974 the area is covered by the non-metropolitan Shepway District.