In 1893, John Valentine Steger opened a piano factory on of land alongside the railroad south of Chicago Heights. With 324 residents, the village incorporated in 1896. John Steger agreed to pay $400 toward incorporation costs to ensure that the name of the town be dubbed "Steger" rather than "Columbia Heights". Steger & Sons Pianos were made in the village until 1926. By 1920, Steger was considered by some as the "piano capital of the world", producing more than a hundred pianos a day.
Steger & Sons built exceptionally high quality, expensive pianos from 1893-1956 in the village of Steger. Unfortunately they are quite rare today.
Steger has been a regular stop on the annual "Driving the Dixie" event since its inception. This event involves participants driving down the historic Dixie Highway in the Chicago Southland and visiting various communities along the way.