Stanton is village situated in north Suffolk, about nine miles northeast of Bury St. Edmunds, on the A143 road to Diss in Norfolk. Close to the village lies the former World War II airfield RAF Shepherds Grove, where American forces were based. One of the main landmarks in the village is the fine restored windmill at Upthorpe Farm, to the east of the village. The name " Stanton" means 'a homestead on stony ground'.
On a local level Stanton is under the administration of the St. Edmundsbury District. It had a population of 2,683 in the UK census of 2001.
Stanton dates back to Roman times, sited at the junction of Peddars Way and the Roman road believed to run between Camulodunum (Colchester) and Bildestone. The site of a Roman Villa known as 'Stanton Chare' is at the junction of the two ancient routes.
The Manor of Stanton was held for many years by Abbots of Bury St Edmunds, and subsequently by the Capel-Lofft family.
The present ecclesiastical parish was formed from two earlier parishes, Stanton All Saints and Stanton St John. The former St John's Church, on a prominent hill outside the village, was abandoned and services continued at All Saints in the village centre.
Upthorpe Mill was built in 1751 at a site on the other side of the village to where it is today. It was moved to its present site in 1808 and worked until the First World War. Repairs carried out in 1939 returned it to working order and the mill was restored in 1990.