|Alt names||Stannington North-East Quarter||source: sector of parish|
|Stannington North-West Quarter||source: sector of parish|
|Stannington South Quarter||source: sector of parish|
|Stannington Vale||source: settlement in parish|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England|
|See also||Castle Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Horton Grange, Northumberland, England||civil parish which was absorbed in 1955|
|Castle Ward Rural, Northumberland, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1974|
|Castle Morpeth District, Northumberland, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-2009|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Stannington is a small village and civil parish in central Northumberland, England which is associated with Morpeth. The population of the civil parish was 1,219 at the 2001 UK census, increasing to 1,280 at the 2011 UK census. Stannington is divided into three: Stannington North-East Quarter, Stannington North-West Quarter and Stannington South Quarter. The total area of Stannington, including Stannington Vale, is 10,093 acres (40.84 km2).
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Stannington from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "STANNINGTON, a parish, with a village, in Castle Ward [registration] district, Northumberland; on the river Blyth, 1 mile W of Plessey [railway] station, and 4½ S by E of Morpeth. It is divided into three quarters, S, NE, and NW; and has a post-office under Cramlington. Acres: 10,093. Real property: £10,038. Population: 1,008. Houses: 194. The manor belonged to Roger de Merlai; passed to the Greystokes, the Somervilles, and others; and belongs now to the Earl of Carlisle. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value: £355. Patron: the Bishop of Chester. The church is old. There are a reformatory school, and a school endowed with £11 per annum for the education of certain poor scholars."
Stannington was an ancient parish in the Castle Ward which also became a civil parish in the 19th century. From 1894 it was part of Castle Ward Rural District. In 1955 the civil parish was increased in size when the parish of Horton Grange was abolished. The parish became part of the Castle Morpeth District of Northumberland from 1974 until 2009. In 2009 Northumberland became a unitary authority.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.